four

About two minutes into my escape, I realized this was something an extremely reckless person would do. I didn't know where I was or where I should be going. I shook my head and kept running. I didn't want to ditch my plan now. Coming back would make me look like an indecisive wuss. Plus, I didn't want my dad lecturing me on how this stunt only proved my recklessness.

I heard my phone vibrating in my backpack. I ignored it and ran faster. It was probably my dad calling. Maybe he thought I was hiding somewhere in that massive house and was looking around for me. I hoped he hadn't discovered I was missing yet. That would buy me some time to find a hiding place where he wouldn't find me.

I mostly followed the neighborhood sidewalks as I ran, trying to find a way out. I didn't know this area at all and wanted to find a public store or restaurant I could hang out in for four hours until my dad left. Whatever I did, I was not going to end up at college prep camp for a week.

After a few minutes, I saw a sign up ahead that read Clubhouse and had an arrow pointing right. I didn't know if that was my best option, but I decided it was worth a shot. I turned right. Up ahead behind some trees was a small building overlooking the ocean. Golf carts were lined in neat rows in front and a few people milled around holding golf bags.

My dad was part of a country club?

Next to the building were a few tennis courts and a large pool where people were relaxing in the sun. I figured I could try and blend in with the pool crowd for the time being. I slowed down to a walk and approached the entrance.

A boy who looked close to my age stood behind a small desk in khaki shorts and a white polo with the country club's logo. He was cute. He had wavy blond hair, blue eyes, and a big smile on his face.

He looked at me. "Good afternoon, Miss. Beautiful weather for a day at the pool! Can I get your membership ID, please?"

His accent surprised me. But I couldn't deny it made him even more attractive. "Hello," I looked at his nametag. "Niall, is it?"

He nodded his head. "Sure is!"

I smiled at him. "Look, Niall, I would really appreciate if you could let me into the pool area. You see, I don't have a membership ID with me at the moment. I'm here visiting my dad and I've never been here before so I didn't know I was supposed to bring one." I stuck out my lower lip in a pout and tried to look sad.

"Oh, it's no problem! Just tell me your last name and I can look it up for ya." He motioned to the computer next to him and waited with his hands hovering over the keyboard.

"Perfect, it's--" I stopped mid sentence when I saw my dad's car pull up to the front of the clubhouse. I watched as he swiftly stepped out of his car and walked into the building.

Panic coursed through my body. "Um, I have to go," I muttered and stumbled away from the pool entrance.

"Have a nice day!" Niall called after me.

I weakly waved goodbye while thoughts raced through my head.

I shouldn't have come here. This was bound to be the first place my dad would check. I looked around for somewhere to hide out of sight. I hardly had time to think it over before I ran to the golf carts and jumped into the first one in line. I flipped the power switch to on and stepped on it.

The wheels screeched against the pavement as I frantically pulled out of the parking lot. One of the employees did a double take as he saw me making my getaway.

"Hey, what do you think you're you doing?" He yelled from across the lot.

I put my hand up to my head and saluted him in goodbye. His mouth opened in shock as I sped away out of his sight.

I turned out of the clubhouse area and trees flew past me as I followed the small cart path.

I would hit a main road eventually, right? All I kept seeing was more luxurious houses. I prayed I wasn't just heading deeper into the neighborhood.

I pushed the pedal as far down as it would go and the wind whipped my sandy blonde hair wildly around my face. Man, if my dad caught me now I would end up at that nerd camp for sure.

At this point, I had no idea what my plan was. Heck, I didn't even have a plan to begin with. I just needed to get out of this maze of a neighborhood and find a mall or department store, anywhere with large masses of people, so I could hide and blend in. Then I would be harder to find.

The small golf cart path merged with the regular road. I looked around for any cars and continued down the street.

If only my dad hadn't shown up I could have just stayed at the pool. And maybe even gotten Niall's phone number.

Suddenly, my golf cart beeped and began to slow down.

"No, no, nooo," I groaned. "What's happening?" The cart's speed continued to decrease. "Come on, go!" I banged my hands on the wheel.

The golf cart ignored my yelling, sputtered one last time, and completely came to a stop.