twenty-three

I slowly opened my eyes and saw a peaceful Harry sleeping next to me. The last thing I remember from yesterday was Harry asking me if I needed to tell him anything; I had no recollection of being carried upstairs. 

I knew Harry could sense something was wrong with me. But I was worried about the consequences that I would face after telling him. Part of me was afraid that telling him my whole story would bring me closer to him only to lose him in some way. It seemed like most meaningful things in my life were taken from me, never mine to keep.

I rolled over in the bed and remained motionless as I lost myself in my thoughts.

Minutes later, Harry begin to stir next to me and I felt an arm drape over my body.

"Morning," Harry mumbled into my neck. 

Facing away from him, I secretly smiled to myself. 

"Sorry about suddenly falling asleep last night." I told him. 

"No bother," 

I rolled over to face him and saw his bare chest.

"Harry, why aren't you wearing a shirt?!" 

Harry shrugged like it was no big deal. "Feels more natural this way."

My face burned embarrassment even though I found myself enjoying the view. 

"Please tell me you're wearing pants." 

"Wanna find out?" 

I rolled my eyes. "You're such a child." 

Harry's face was in a full grin, enjoying the game we were playing. 

I was about to protest as his hands hovered over the covers, but he quickly whipped the duvet off himself. 

"I'm wearing shorts!" he declared. 

I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw the smooth fabric of athletic shorts. 

"Dork," I muttered. 

"Do you have any plans for the day?" Harry immediately changed the subject. 

I shook my head. 

"I have to work but I can take you home before I go....?" he trailed off uncertainly. 

"No, I don't want to go back home yet." My voice was firm. 

"Then you are welcome to join me if you're up for it." 

I nodded, thinking it would be interesting to get a glimpse into his life now that I more fully understood it. 

After freshening up for the day in a bathroom Harry let me use, I found myself out on the golf course with him. 

"Okay," Harry began to give instructions to me. "Today is my turn to man the snack cart, which we basically just drive around the course and offer to any of the players. It's pretty easy and is a way my dad likes me to get to know people."

Harry placed a Nike baseball hat on my head. 

"Sounds easy enough," I looked up at him through the visor of the cap he gave me. 

"I'm driving, though. There is no possible way it would end well with you driving." 

I shrugged. "Can't argue with that." 

After making sure I was settled into the passenger seat, Harry drove the golf cart towards the course. 

After a few minutes, we ran into some players who happily bought snacks from Harry. As usual, he was irresistibly charming and was chatting it up with the golfers in a matter of moments. I didn't really say much as I just let Harry do his thing.