Chapter 2

Grayson stood at the entrance of the Lady Jersey's ball, he watched as the floor was alive with this season's fresh pickings. He knew that he had a duty to fulfill, and finding the proper young lady for the role of future Duchess was not going to be an easy feat. No one had noticed his appearance yet, so this gave him an advantage. He got to scan the room for the few that would catch his eye, then he would make himself known to the crowd below.

As he loved over the stock of young ladies that were either dancing, or standing in groups not much out of sight from their chaperons. His title alone would drawl all of the eligible young ladies to him. He just needed one to be the right one for him. He wanted to find love or one he could love after they were married. As his green eyes took in the sight before him, he found lots of beauties.

He stopped as he found a blonde, she was breathe taking. He should have kept watching her but someone spotted him. So all eyes were upon him, he held his chin up high and walked in to find his gentlemen friend so he could learn about the blonde.

He spotted his good friend Edward Redvers, Earl of Devon. They had attended Cambridge together, they were roommates. Edward was a charmer, he could talk any lady into the most compromising positions. He grinned as he watched Edward charm a debutante, he needed to go and rescue him to prevent a scandal.

" Those blue eyes could make a gentlemen like myself, fall at your feet." Edward sighed and then flashed her a smile to show his dimples. The debutant had stars in her eyes as she listened to him, Edward continued to work his charm on her.

Grayson called out to him" Edward, I see you are still at it my friend." Grayson grinned as he shook Edwards hand. " I am sorry Miss?"

" Good evening my Lord, my name is Penelope." She curtsied and held her hand out to him. He gently placed a kiss on her knuckles, she was a dainty debutant. But on closer inspection, she was big boned. She was pretty, but not what he was looking for in a future Duchess, he didn't know exactly what he was looking for anyways. He knew that he would know when his eyes laid upon her, but in the mean time he would look to see what was available.

Edward and Grayson bowed to Penelope and excused themselves to head to the back room. The gentlemen were sitting around smoking cigars and drinking their brandy. As both men joined the others that were here searching for a wife. As they lit up a couple of cigars, the conversation started about the ladies who were availble.

" I heard that there is going to be a record number of new debutants this year."

" I am surprised at the number that is still on the market, what is up with that?"

" Some of them have been on the market for several seasons, wonder if it's their personalities that is keeping them single or what?"

" Maybe it's just that they are that picky, or could be worse."

" I have seen some of them, and let me tell you it isn't always a pretty sight."

Grayson listened as the fellows kept talking, he couldn't help but agree with some of them. He has seen several that have literally scared him. He could only guess at the ones they were refering to. He continued to listen to them so he could get an idea of what he was up against.

" Well I hope that these new debutants are better looking this year."

" Well the only few that are worth having are those stuck ups, they won't look at you unless you are well titled."

" I think they are nothing but a group of snobs, I went up to talk to the one and she snubbed me."

" All I can say whom ever gets hooked by one of them is in for a life of misery."

Grayson had no idea who they were referring to, he hadn't joined a season in a long time. He finished his brandy and cigar and walked out to the action. As he scoped the floor his eyes stopped on a blonde beauty. He was staring at her, she was a beauty for sure. He made his way down to where she was standing amoungst her friends. He wasn't sure if she had been one of the ones that they were all just talking about or what.

He wanted to know what her name was and if she was spoken for. He watched as her cool blue eyes watched her surroundings. She let her eyes fall on Grayson, she smiled as she noticed him walking towards her. She waited for him to come close enough before she curtsied.

" My lord," she curtsied and held her hand to him. He took it and kissed her knuckles, she was dainty as a flower. She had the elegance that would be needed for a Duchess, he knew that she could be the one.

" I am Grayson Pierrepont, heir to the Dukedom of Kingston, may I ask who I am having the pleasure of meeting?"

She gazed at him," My lord I am Sarah daughter of Nicholas Monson, Baron of Monson." She curtsied as she announced her name to him just above a whisper. He liked what he saw, she knew this. She was out to catch a title that was far above her father's station in life. She deserved better, besides she was holding out for the right title to come along. It seemed her plan worked, because now she has a Marquess standing before her. One day he would be a Duke when his father passed on.

Edward caught a glimpse of his friend, " Oh great, he is in trouble now." He slapped his other friend Parker in the arm. He nodded his head in the direction of Grayson., " Should we go and save him from the Queen of the vultures now or let him suffer?"

Parker saw who he was referring to," I know that look in his eyes, he won't listen to us. Let's just hope some other debutante is more beautiful than that sadistic creature."

Edward shook his head, " well she better hurry up cause once she gets her claws into him, it's going to hard to get her to let go."

They stood there and observed their best friend lead the vulture out to the dance floor. They knew that Sarah was not the right person for the role of Duchess. She was out for nothing but a title and once she has it. There will be no stopping the chit from destroying their friend, and they weren't going to stand and watch.