Chapter 21

Lucy stretched her arms out and winced at the sudden pain. What had she done to make her body revolt like this? She threw back the covers and swung her legs over the side of the bed. She slid down from the bed and walked to the basin. She picked up the pitcher of water and poured the clean water to wipe herself down. She happened to catch her appearance in the mirror, the two black eyes shone like a sore thumb. She noticed that the bruises were starting to turn yellow, she didn't remember much about what had happened.

Daisy came in the room carrying a tray of food, she almost dropped it when she spotted Lucy. " Miss, you shouldn't be out of bed!" Daisy set the tray on the table, and walked over to Lucy. She was almost scared that something had happened to Miss Lucy. " Your grandmother left strict instructions that you were to stay in bed." Daisy kept looking at the door as if she was expecting Joyce to come in the room.

Lucy laughed, " I will be fine, I am so sick and tired of laying in that bed. I needed to freshen up from, wait how many days have I been in that bed?" Lucy wasn't sure on just how long she had been in bed. She felt like she had laid around for a month, she hoped it was just a couple of days.

 Daisy chuckled," Miss Lucy, you have been in bed for a couple of weeks. The doctor and your grandmother thought it best for your recovery." Daisy thought it was a good enough answer, she just hoped that Lucy understood why they did it.

Lucy frowned," Daisy, I can't have been in bed that long. I just bet that Sarah is having a fit that I am still here." She knew that once it was known that she was awake and moving around. Her grandmother and her would have to vacate the premises. She didn't want to leave, she didn't want to leave Grayson. She felt sick at the thought of leaving him, but he didn't pick her. She would never get over him, her heart was breaking at the thought of not being by his side.

She had to some how move on with her life, she didn't want to return to the season again. She needed time to heal from this heart break. Her grandmother would certainly understand, she just needed to talk to her. Lucy went to sit in front of the mirror so that Daisy could brush all the tangles out of her hair. It looked like she had rats in her hair, she knew that it was not going to be a pleasant experience.

As Daisy worked the brush through her hair, she would wince at every stroke. She knew that she couldn't show her face downstairs. She knew that her nose was still recovering from being broken. She knew that she didn't look her best, so she didn't want anyone to see her like this. Even though the bruising was fading away, she still could see the difference.

Joyce walked in the room to find her granddaughter getting her hair brushed. She smiled " I am happy to see you up and about. I came to see if you were up and to check up on your progress." She seemed to glide towards Lucy.

Lucy grimaced as another pass of the brush through her tangled mess. " I can't believe that I have been oblivious to all that has happened. Grandmother, how is it that we have stayed on since Grayson picked Sarah?" She needed to know that way she could prepare herself for the big let down.