Chapter 6

Lucy couldn't believe her grandmother, letting that pompous jerk come visit her. She would make sure to be strolling through the park when he came to visit. She had yet to visit Hyde park, she heard it was lovely. She would have to take her maid with her, but she didn't mind it. She would let her grandmother know that she wanted to go out and explore the different shops. She would make sure it was something she did often. She didn't want to see Grayson ever again, especially knowing that he was seeing others.

She went in search of her grandmother, she wanted to let her know that she would be out today. Last night's ball was exhausting, but she loved it. She just didn't love the fact that the Marques was testing her. How could one man who made her feel so exhilarating, but used at the same time. She wouldn't be no man's puppet, That was what the Marques was doing, that Sarah girl could have him. She wouldnt' be used by him or any other man. She knew that she would have to get married someday. She just wouldn't marry a pompous jerk, no matter what he made her feel.

Payton was taken the Viscount, she was infatuated with him. Lucy was happy for Payton, but did the Viscount feel the same way? Payton was always in love with someone new all the time. She loved attention, well when she was out of the library long enough. Everyone loved Payton, she had that free spirit about her. Maybe she could talk Payton into going to Hyde park with her?

As Lucy rounded the corner, she heard her grandmother talking to some gentleman. " It's so nice to see you again your Grace. Lucy hasn't come down yet, she was pretty exhausted after the ball last night."

Lucy stopped in her tracks, " Great, so much for my plan. The pompous jerk is here, now I need to sneak back up to my room before they catch me." She started to turn around, then she tipped toed back to the stairs.

Before she came to the first step her Aunt rounded the corner," Lucy dear, you have a visitor. Come into the sitting room, we were about to come and get you."

Lucy stomped her foot, she smiled as she turned to face her Aunt. " I forgot something in my room, I will go and fetch it and meet you there."

Her Aunt Elizabeth chuckled," Don't be shy dear, his Grace has arrived to see you. Now come along like a good girl."

Lucy's shoulders slumped in defeat, this was not going as she had planned. She followed her Aunt into the sitting room. There he was sitting on the armed chair, looking as handsome as he did last night. She felt her heart flip flop in her chest," traitorous heart." She curtsied at his standing frame, she didn't make eye contact with him. " Your Grace, so nice of you to visit us this morning.''

Grayson bowed," Ms. Lucy, I hope you are quite well this morning." He had a grin on his face as he looked at her. He knew that she was not exactly fond of him, that was by his doing. He should have never told her his plan, she would have not known a thing. It would have gone more smoother with her blind to the fact. Now he needed to figure out on how to get her to forget what he had said. He needed to woe her, then hope that she would forget about Sarah.

Lucy sat down on the settee next to her grandmother, she waited to here what line he was going to come up with. At first there was nothing but silence, then her grandmother spoke. " So your Grace, how long do you plan on staying in London?"

Lucy sat there pulling imaginary lint from her skirt, she couldn't look at him. He made her feel things when she looked at him. She could feel his eyes boring into her soul now. It made her feel like her blood would spurt out of her any second now. She felt hot under his gaze and started to squirm, she didn't want to let him know that he affected her like this.

Grayson saw that Lucy was trying to ignore his presence, it wasn't working very well. He noticed she started to squirm, whether it was with irritation or lust he wasn't sure. He hoped it was the latter one, then his job would be so much easier. He needed find her weakness, so he could use it to his advantage. That was how he was going to get her to like him again. He just had to ask the right questions to get an idea of what Lucy might like.

Lucy felt his stare on her, she wouldn't give him the time of day. She sat there completely ignoring him, until her grandmother pinched her. " Ouch!"

" Good you are still alive!" Joyce glared at her granddaughter. She couldn't believe just how rude she was being to their guest. She needed to make sure that Lucy knew that she couldn't treat a Marques in such a manner. It wasn't done, no matter what he may have said or done. He still was a man of higher station, she needed to treat him with respect.

Lucy glared at Joyce," I am sorry, I must still be a little tired from last evening."

Grayson snickered, he knew she was trying her best to ignore him. Thanks to her grandmother, she wasn't getting away with it. He found the exchange between the two ladies humorous. He cleared his throat," I came to ask if you would be my escort to lady Cowper's musical tonight?"

Lucy wanted to tell him no, but her grandmother answered for her. " Your Grace, that would be so kind to escort Lucy to the party. What time shall we expect your arrival, your Grace?"

Grayson liked Joyce, she wasn't going to let her granddaughter tell him no. He looked at Lucy, she was not happy at all. She wouldn't go against her grandmother, he needed to use this bit of information to his advantage. " I will arrive at seven this evening."

Lucy was about to object, but her grandmother spoke first. " We shall be ready for your arrival, your Grace."

Grayson smiled," I have to take my leave for now, I have business in town." He stood and took Lucy's hand in his. He brushed his lips across her knuckles, and she shivered. He knew that she definitely felt something. She was trying to fight him every step of the way, he liked that. It meant she could handle any situation. He loved the fact he could make her squirm, this was going to be fun. He could only imagine what she would be like in bed.

Lucy was not happy at all, she wanted to pick up something and throw it at him. She watched as he walked out the door. Her hand was itching to grab the vase next to her and throw it. She couldn't believe that he had the nerve to show his face this morning. Her grandmother was excited, just because of his title. She didn't care if he was the Prince Regent himself, she wasn't going to be used.

Joyce turned to scold her granddaughter," young lady, I know that you are mad at him for whatever reason. Just remember, he is looking for a bride. He may try to test the waters with different girls. He hasn't made a committment to you or the others. That is how things work here, especially for someone who has a higher station in life."

Lucy flopped back down on the settee," I don't care, I want one gentlemen to like me for who I am. Not me and a bunch of other girls to, that is not a way to catch a wife."

Joyce sat down next to Lucy," dear, I understand it's not easy. Just know that once a gentleman comes to his senses. He may pick you or the other girl, you have to make your impression a good one."

Lucy picked up the pillow and threw it into the chair," I don't want to compete with anyone else. I should be liked for who I am, not what a gentleman deems better."

Joyce hugged Lucy close," you remind me so much like your mother, I do miss her at times like this."

Lucy sniffed," I think she would take a chamber pot to his Grace's head. I know I would like to, he just makes me feel all tingly inside. It's so fustrating, to feel like that but second best."

 Joyce knew exactly what Lucy meant, but she couldn't let the girl get her way. The Marques was here the next day for a reason. She saw the way he looked at Lucy, he must feel something for her. Why bother with a girl who didn't like you? Even if she was in love with him. She needed to think long and hard on this. She had raised Lucy to be respectful, and as genteel as she could. Something needed to happen for his Grace to offer for Lucy. What could it be? Joyce had to figure this out, and quick. Before Grayson chose the other girl, and Lucy looses her soulmate.