Chapter 17

Lucy was nervous as she walked into the drawing room. After spending the afternoon with Ashley and Grayson. She had finally gotten to know a little more about Grayson. She found he had simular interests as she did. They both loved the outdoors, he even liked to crack jokes. A sense of humor was  not expected at all from Grayson. Lucy was shocked at how she had miss judged him.

Everyone was waiting in the drawing room for the announcement of dinner. Lucy's eyes fell on Grayson, he was talking to several gentlemen. She found her cousins and went over to join them. Payton was glowing, " I am so happy Lucy, Dalton has asked father for my hand!"  Payton had a smile across her face that just glowed with her happiness.

Lucy hugged her close to her, " I am so happy for you, Payton." Lucy truly was happy for her cousin, she only wished that she was that lucky. She wondered what Payton's older sister's thought of Payton's betrothal? They had yet to have anyone ask for their hands in marriage. She knew that would burn them up that Payton was to be married before them.

Lucy was happy for her cousin, she only wished that she could be that happy. Just because Grayson had told her earlier that he was choosing her over Sarah. The question was when? She looked across the room, her eyes stopped when she spotted him. He smiled at her, she of course blushed. 

Just as she thought he would walk across the room, Sarah went across the room to him. Lucy frowned as she watched Grayson took his eyes off of her. He smiled at Sarah, and started to laugh at something that was said. Lucy was sure that he would dismiss her, but was surprised when he didn't. 

The butler came into the room to ring the dinner bell," dinner is served." Everyone paired up to walk into dinner. Of course Lucy was paired with an elderly gentleman, he walked with a cane. They ended up being the last to take a seat in the formal dining room. Lucy had hoped that Grayson would have escorted her in to dinner. 

He was at one end of the table, his mother was seated at the other end. Lucy was seated in the middle of the table. Sarah sat next to Grayson, her annoying laugh was heard all the way to the other end of the table. Lucy was hurt by Grayson's choice, his own words seemed to be a lie. " I choose you, I want you and tonight I will make you mine." She could hear his words rolling around her head. 

She decided to forget about him for now, she needed to release any thoughts of him from her mind. She needed to act like he was not in the room, she needed to act like he didn't exist. She would make her getaway when she got the first chance. He wasn't going to have a chance to play with her heart.

Dinner was seven courses of different delectable bites of wonderfully cooked dishes. They then had their dessert, the gentlemen retired to the study for their cigars and brandy. The ladies all went to the drawing room to sip on sherry and tea. They all sat around the room enjoying conversations, and drinking their drinks in peace.

" I want to know what gives you the right to show your face here uninvited?" Sarah stared at Lucy, she wanted her to leave the room so that Grayson would pay attention to her instead. " You may have permission to be on this estate, but no one invited you sit in here." 

Lucy wished that the Duchess was in here, but instead it was mainly those that wanted Grayson for themselves. " Excuse me?" She wasn't sure if she had heard right, this is where all the ladies did go. The Duchess had gone up to check on her husband's health. To bad she wasn't here to witness  Sarah's bad manners, she was certain that she would definitely say something to Sarah.

Sarah stuck her nose into the air and rolled her eyes at Lucy. " I am sure that you understood exactly what I said. We want you to leave, it would be nice if you left the estate too." Sarah sneered at Lucy, she was hoping that this would give her the advantage she needed. " You will never be good enough for Grayson, he only pities you." Sarah had to laugh, she knew that if she could get the advantage. That she would be the next Duchess, she couldn't let this chit take that away from her.

Lucy was shocked at the hostility towards her, she had never expected this. She stood up, " I know that you are so afraid of not knowing who Grayson is going to choose. I think that you need to get over yourself, Grayson is going to choose someone. Your so afraid that it isn't you, but I will leave this room. I shall retire to my room, but think of this." Lucy could feel all eyes on her," I hope that Grayson does choose you, because you deserve each other." 

Lucy pivoted on her heel, she walked right out the door to go upstairs to her room. Never in her life had she ever been treated with such regard. She would keep away from Grayson, even though she wanted him to be her's. She couldn't imagine being with anyone else. She just had to get over this desire she had felt for him. She hoped that it was going to be soon, because she couldn' t keep going like this. She deserved so much better than being attracted to someone who liked to play games.