Chapter 23

Lucy walked away from Grayson, never in a million years would she ever thought he would have said that. She had to get away from him to think, she couldn't trust herself to make the right decision. She felt so many things all at once. The feeling of knowing he chose her, had the sparks flowing through her veins like a wild fire. She felt the beating of her heart speed up to the point of jumping out of her chest. The most of her problems after having these other feelings, her brain was just confused.

After all of the heart break he had put her through, he choose her in the end. All the disappointment that she felt every time Sarah grabbed his arm. How empty she felt when she watched as he was always at Sarah's side. Could she accept him as her husband knowing that he treated her like this from the beginning?

She had to think about this, that was why she walked away from him. She knew that she did love him, he had admitted that he loved her. Her only question was, but was it enough to marry him? She needed some time and space to think this through. She needed time to get her mind straight to give him the answer he was wanting. She just couldn't give him anything at this point.

Lucy walked to the other side of the Lake, she avoided the three ladies who were worried about her. She walked into the forest, she was soon surrounded by mother nature. She just needed to walk and think. She knew that Grayson was most likely upset that she just walked away. He was most likely hurt by her lack of communication. She didn't care, he would have to just get over it. He took the chance to have different choices. So he had to know that there is a price to be paid. 

She seemed to have a battle going on inside of herself, she didn't know which side would win. She was so deep in thought, she didn't realise how far she had gone. She sat down on a falling tree, she felt the tears that were ready to burst. So she did the only natural thing, she cried. The tears started to flow heavily down her cheeks. She cried for all the hurt that was caused, she cried for all the neglect she felt. She cried for all the reasons she needed to cry for. Then she stopped, she felt so much better.

The battle within had stopped, she felt much better. She then knew what she wanted, she would accept Grayson. She did love him, he was her soul mate. She knew that she could live with the past, because that was what it was the past. Her future was with Grayson, and no one was going to stop that. She stood up and walked back the way she had come. She knew that her grandmother was going to be worried about her.

She came to the clearing near the lake, she walked over hoping that Grayson was still there. She was disappointed that he wasn't, in fact the luncheon debris was also removed. How long had she been gone? She felt it was only about fifteen minutes, but it could have been longer. She walked towards the house, she found her grandmother waiting for her.

Joyce furrowed her brow at the sight of her granddaughter," Lucy my dear, you have been gone for hours. Grayson and some of the other gentlemen have gone looking for you." Joyce held her arms out for Lucy to walk into them. She held her tight against her, " we have been so worried about you."

Lucy snuggled in closer," I just needed to think about what I was going to do. Grayson told me that he had chosen me. I was overwhelmed from what he had admitted to me, so I had to think over my thoughts." She hadn't realized that she had been gone for several hours, she hadn't meant to be gone for that long. She felt bad now that everyone was genuinely worried about her, Grayson was out looking for her now.

Joyce walked inside the doors and found a footman," I need you to go and find his Grace, let him know that Lucy is here safe and sound." She gave her orders and sent him away from his post. Then she sent Lucy upstairs to clean up, she was a mess from her disappearance. She wanted to know what the child had decided, but she would have to wait till she came down.

Lucy was relieved to be in her room, she wasn't sure on how she was going to face Grayson. Was he going to be upset with her? At least she knows that he came after her, but also gave her some space. He really did love her, or he wouldn't be out searching for her. She felt her heart speed up at the thought he was her knight in shining armor. She wondered if he was sitting upon his white steed?

She took extra steps in making her appearance perfect, she had to look her best for Grayson. She picked out her best evening dress, she wanted to let him know that she was accepting him. Hopefully he would understand on why she had to walk away from him. She just needed to talk to him, to make him understand. Grayson would understand that she was sure of, she just had to wait for his return.

She hurried from the room and ran down the stairs to await for his return to the house. Ashley was sitting on the settee reading a poetry book. Joyce was standing out the window, and Marybeth was doing needle point. They didn't have the chance to say anything to her at all. Grayson came through the door and with a few long strides had grabbed Lucy into his arms. " I am so happy that you are still here, I was worried sick when you just left." He pulled her out of the room and down the hall to the study. There he pulled her in for a kiss, one like she had never experienced before. She was in heaven, she was sure he was to.