01; Busted Pens And Awkward Stares

"You have got to be kidding me." Claire groaned as she walked briskly down the empty hall, glancing between her schedule and the door numbers, preventing herself from walking into the wrong class like she had previously done about five minutes ago. Finally finding the right classroom, she yanked the door open, gaining the attention of everyone in the room in the process . She smiled awkwardly, pushing her hair out of her face.

"Yes?" The teacher asked, crossing her arms.

"This is AP Biology right? I got lost and-" She started, only to be cut off.

"Take a seat Miss?" The woman paused, looking at her expectantly.

"Evans." She answered, giving her a small smile before scanning the room for an open seat. She recognized three of the people from last night, Lydia quickly glancing down at her book, while Scott just stared at her with an expression she couldn't quite place, Kira watching him in return. Behind him was pretty much the only open chair in the room, so she quickly made her way over and sat down.

"Now that we see Miss Evans is in the correct class, who else thinks they are in right class?" Everyone turned to see one guy in the back raise his hand confidently, the rest of the students following. "Good. Then you should all be prepared for the test tomorrow. Don't be so disappointed, the test is specifically to help you determine whether you should actually be in AP Biology, you have two weeks to drop. The test tomorrow should beat out the ones who shouldn't be here. And that could be any of you."

Claire rifled through her bag, searching frantically for her pen. Her fingers reached the bottom, touching something wet and sticky soaking the bottom and pulled out a completely busted pen, blue ink staining her fingertips.

"Perfect." She muttered, dropping in on her open notebook. She tore out the page and crumpled it around the pen, which was utterly destroyed. "First day, I break my only freaking pen." She turned to her left to ask her partner for an extra, but the array of piercings and black makeup paired with a "If you talk to me I'll stab you" look made her turn back around.

Claire chewed on her lip nervously before leaning forward and tapping Scott on the shoulder lightly. "Hey, do you have a-" She stopped when he turned around, pen in hand. "Pen." She grinned, taking it carefully.

"I can throw that away for you." He whispered, glancing down at the mess of paper and ink. Before she could object, he was gathering it up, careful not to stain his shirt.

"Thanks." She said as he crossed the room and tossed it into the trash. A smile tugged at her lips as he sat down in front of her, revealing the dimples that he had fallen in love with two years ago.

"No problem." Scott whispered, giving her a reassuring smile and turning back around. Lydia had watched the whole scene quietly, remembering a similar interaction sophomore year in English class. She glanced over at Kira, whose eyes flickered between Scott and Claire uncomfortably as they both smiled to theirselves, copying down the writing on the board.

Even when Scott took Kira's hand and gave it a light squeeze, Lydia couldn't help but feel that history would be repeating itself.

● ● ●

Claire opened her locker, eyes scanning the titles while she looked for the book needed in her next class, finally finding it after checking her schedule for the fifth time that morning and swapping out her books. After she shut and turned around she realized that almost everyone had their eyes on her, whispering as she started down the hall. She had no idea that the reason people were staring was because people genuinely thought she was, in fact, Allison Argent and was far from dead. It was a mixture of emotions, varying from shock, confusion, disbelief, and even pity.