08; Muscle Memory

"Can I ask why I'm in the middle of the woods?" Claire asked sleepily as she trudged behind Scott, almost tripping over a tree root in the process.

"Because." He dropped the duffel bag he had been carrying and bent down to unzip it, pulling out a dagger and tossing it at her. She caught it with ease, spinning on her middle finger before grasping it firmly in her hand. Claire blinked rapidly when she realized what she just did, looking up at Scott with wide eyes.

"I-I have no idea how I just did that." She stuttered, shaking her head. "It's like my hands know what they're doing before my brain can even process the dagger is in my hand."

"Like muscle memory." Scott offered, reaching into the bag. "Which brings us to our next experiment."

"No, I-I can't." She shook her head frantically with wide eyes. "I can't even shoot a Nerf gun. What makes you think I can handle a bow and arrow?"

"Muscle memory." He repeated, walking closer to her. "I think that what you are, is connecting yourself to Allison in some way, like with the daggers. Let's see if it's the same with a bow and arrow."

"If I accidentally kill a bunny, I will never forgive you." She sighed, taking it from him. He grabbed her shoulders and turned her around to see a target taped to one of the trees.

"Square your feet like this, shoulders back." He whispered, his lips next to her ear as he shifted her body, pulling her arms up. "Put the arrow here, pull back, breathe, and then release."

He took a step back, watching her carefully as she took a deep breath, loading the arrow. Keeping her eyes on the target she pulled back, letting out a long exhale before releasing it. Her eyes squeezed shut imeadietly after letting it go, afraid to look.

"Claire." Scott spoke, his hand on her shoulder. The brunette opened her eyes slowly, letting out a short laugh of surprise.

Bullseye.

● ● ●

"So basically we're looking for abnormal behavior?" Theo asked as the three of them stood looking over the front of the school.

"Anyone acting a little off or a little wierd." Scott nodded, glancing at him.

"Isn't everyone a little wierd?" Claire laughed slightly, watching some freshman sniff his armpits descreetly. "I mean, it is highschool."

"Good point." Scott said, watching her smile. He hadn't seen a lot of smiling from her the past few days, but today he had caught a few grins.

"You remember Tracy went on a killing spree after reading that." Theo pointed out as they walked down the stairs, looking at the alpha's copy of The Dread Doctors.

"You think it's a bad idea?" Scott asked, a worried expression on his face.

"I think Malia almost getting ran down by a car could be bad." He said. "Is that why you guys haven't finished it yet?"

"We're going to." She spoke up, chewing on her lip nervously.

"Scott, I came here to find a pack." He frowned, his eyes flitting between them with his next words. "I wasn't planning on watching one fall apart."

"The books all we got." He sighed, holding it up.

"Then I'll read it too."

● ● ●

Claire chewed on her thumbnail as they stood around the coffee table, looking down at the different copies of the book warily.