16; Fragile

"For an alpha, you're pretty slow." Claire teased, looking over her shoulder.

"I'm letting you lead." Scott replied, a grin on his face as he followed behind.

"Sure you are." She laughed, holding her hand out. He took it without a second thought, the two running across the preserve.

"Where are we going?" He asked, walking backwards and facing her.

"I don't know." She shrugged, dimples prominent as she smiled. "I just moved here a few weeks ago remember?"

Scott's foot got caught on a root, sending them both to the ground. Claire landed on him with a soft 'oomph', followed by laughter.

"I meant to do that." He groaned as Claire sat up, straddling his waist.

"Mmhmm. Sure." She laughed, pushing her hair back. She let out a squeal as Scott grabbed her wrists, flipping her over so she was on her back.

"Now that I really meant to do." He whispered, leaning in close to her.

"I'm getting leaves I'm my hair." She pouted, laughing as he rolled his eyes. She stopped when she felt something warm drip onto her cheek, wiping at it to see a silvery substance. She looked up at Scott as he wiped at his nose, mercury staining his fingertips. She lay there, frozen as one of the doctors grabbed his shoulders, another sticking a long needle into his throat.

"His condition is terminal."

Claire sat sharply, hand feeling around for her inhaler as she wheezed. She brought it to her lips and pressed down, inhaling as Scott opened the door with a worried expression.

"You okay?" He asked, sitting next to her. He had been gone for maybe two minutes to go to the bathroom, the girl seeming perfectly fine when he got up.

"Yeah." She lied, giving him a small smile. "Just had some trouble breathing."

● ● ●

"My asthma's back. I'm not sure how, but it came back, just as bad as it used to be. So now I keep my inhaler on me all the time, just like I used to." Scott swallowed, twisting it between his fingers before looking back up. "It's been five days. We haven't seen any chimeras or any dread doctors, we all go to school, pretending like nothings happened. "

"But everyone seems to know. You walk down the halls and no one's smiling, no one's laughing. You get the feeling everyone can sense that somethings happening, I just don't know what it is or how bad it's gonna be. Every time I feel like I should do something about it, but I feel myself reaching for my inhaler, like I'm gonna take a hit of it and I'll suddenly know how to save everyone. But I don't know what to do. I don't think anyone does. Maybe that's why no one's really talking to each other. Y'know, sometimes we don't even notice each other. I think some of us are okay with that, because not talking makes it easier to keep secrets." He looked over his shoulder at Claire, who was curled in one of the chairs, his jacket covering her tiny frame.

"Claire has completely cut off her parents. She only goes home to grab stuff when she knows they wont be there, she didn't even blink when my mom told her that Gale had her serve her father with divorce papers." His voice lowered as he turned to Theo, shaking his head. "She hasn't been sleeping well at all lately, she thinks I don't notice that her nightmares haven't stopped. She never tells me what they're about, but she doesn't wake up screaming anymore."

"I don't know if anyone's even lying anymore, maybe it's more like lies of omission. Maybe the worst lie is to Stilinksi. No one's told him about Parrish yet, then again, no one's told Parrish either. He doesn't seem to remember taking the bodies, we think he's only really dangerous when someone gets in his way. If Stilinksi knew the truth, he would most definitely get in the way. So Lydia and Stiles are trying to find the bodies, but that means finding the nemeton. But driving around, looking through all the woods, last time we found it the three of us had to almost drown in ice water."

"We're not the only ones looking for chimeras, Stilinski's got everyone looking for the next target. Questioning anyone who's a genetic chimera, anyone with two sets of DNA. No one really knows what they're looking for. Some think its a serial killer, some probably know its worse. The two chimeras that we know about, Hayden and Cory, they're both doing okay. Actually, better than okay. They're healing faster, getting stronger. They don't need our help. I don't think they want it anyway."

"Still haven't heard from Kira, getting more and more worried about Deaton. I know something's coming, and so does Claire. All I can think about is how good am I gonna be if I can't even breathe." He set the inhaler down, Theo stepping forward.

"It sounds like you're trying to apologize." He said, almost a question.

"You came here looking for an alpha." He sighed, gripping the table. "I guess I'm sorry you found me."

"I'm not sorry."

"You still want to be part of the pack?" Scott asked, taken back.

"Scott, I'm with you." He assured, shaking his head. "For better, for worse."

"Trust me, there's gonna be worse." Theo looked up, what looked almost like a smirk on his face.

"I'm counting on it." Their attention was stolen by an accelerated heartbeat, both turning to see Claire stirring, her hands gripping the arms of the chair so tightly her fingers turned white.

"Hey," Scott murmured, kneeling down and shaking her lightly. Her eyes shot open, searching the room frantically, finally relaxing when she realized where she was. "Are you okay?"

"It was a nightmare, wasn't it?" Theo asked, making her look up at him.

"No." She shook her head, clenching her jaw slightly as she stared at him coldly. "I'm just seeing things a bit clearly now."

________________________

Not edited.

If I update again today, it probably won't be til later. I just wanted to get this first scene out of the way.

So, Claire is obviously suffering from some kind of PTSD, but is trying to hide it.

Hmm, what do you think she's seeing more clearly? Why is she so hostile towards Theo? So many questions, where the answers at?

How did y'all feel about that chapter that was purely Sclaire? I loved it, and judging from your guy's comments so did you.

Vote and comment babes.

Xx