Chapter 4: Peeta

I open the door to my home to silence. I never normally do. As I close the door I walk down the small hall, shrugging off my jacket and grasping it in my free hand.

"Daddy." I hear sadness filling her voice and my stomach goes into knots as she slowly emerges from the kitchen.

"What's wrong baby girl?" I murmur into her ear, confused, as I pick her up and hug her against my chest.

"Mama was sad and she yell at me." Dwyn explains and I kiss her head.

"Is Mama still sad?" I ask and Dwyn nods into my shoulder.

"You know baby she can get very sad quickly sometimes. Today is just one of those times. I know she one hundred percent didn't mean to shout at you. I'll go calm Mama down and then she will apologise. Okay?"

"Okay Daddy." Dwyn mumbles as I take her back into the kitchen. I see she has been drawing, paper and coloured pencils scattered across the table.

"You can continue drawing okay Dwyn. These are looking wonderful." I comment as I settle her back into the chair she must have been sitting at. I kiss her head again before placing my jacket over the back of another chair and resting my keys on the table.

I stroke Dwyn's hair as she starts drawing again and I leave her to head down the hall to find Katniss. I notice the nursery door closed and I approach it curiously. That's when I hear her. I frown as I clasp my hand around the door knob and rotate it open. I slink in and her cries become louder. I close the door behind me, for the sake of Dwyn's ears and I approach Katniss by the window. Her back facing me.

"Katniss, baby?" I speak up as I place my hands against her shoulder, making her jump at my sudden presence.

She is already attempting to hide her face from mine when she knows I'm here.

When she stays silent, only crying, I wrap my right arm around her back turning her to face me. Yet she still objects to looking at me. I gently grab her chin and tilt her head to look at me.

"Katniss, open your eyes." I demand and she eventually gives in, meeting my gaze as she slowly opens her eyes.

"What's wrong? Has something happened to you and the baby?" I question as I watch as her eyes show more sadness, reflecting how mine is becoming.

"Peeta... I'm s-scared." She finally says, speaking up. "It was just all of a sudden..." She trails off, cracking a bit after each word is spoken to me. She looks down to her hand, now resting her bump

"She has been moving more lately. I can feel her lowering. Peeta, she'll be here in a week or less and that is what's scaring me. I'm not ready." Katniss jumbles together and cup both her cheeks in my hands.

I press my lips to her forehead before bringing her into a tight embrace, however not harming her or my unborn child.

"I know you're scared. So am I. But we're going to be together and I'm going to help you. I always have, haven't I?" Katniss nods. "And, I'll continue to do so." I add, murmuring into her ear.

I lead her towards the rocking chair we have close to the window and I help her sit down. She buries her head into her hands and I silently sigh before sitting down on the floor in front of her.

"Relax for me Katniss. From now on, when I'm at work at something happens. Something that you become worried about, you will call me. Even if it something minor. if you can't, get Dwyn to call me. She knows my phone number if she finds it on the fridge, remember."

Katniss sniffles, removing her hands from her face. "Okay." I manage to hear her reply and I stroke her cheek with my fingers.

"We're in this together?"

"We're in this together."

The Fires No Longer Burnजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें