Chapter 12: Peeta

I grasp onto both my wife and daughter's hands as we slowly walk through the entrance. I send a glance to Katniss and see a smile on her face, yet today is the day we have been dreading for the last month.

We walk further into the school courtyard and veer off to the side. The area bustles with activity that my daughter is to get involved in.

My hands slips from Katniss' and I bend down to Dwyn's height. I sadly smile at her and see her happily smile at me.

"You're going to be good today aren't you Dwyn and have fun?" Dwyn nods at me, the smile not disappearing. Dwyn hugs me and I wrap my arms around her, her small bag placed on her back.
I close my eyes, not wanting to let those tears spill.

We release our embrace in moments and Dwyn turns to look at Katniss and Leigh.
Katniss bends down and wraps one arm carefully around Dwyn, being wary that Leigh is part of the embrace.

"Make some friends okay?" She tells Dwyn, who nods in response. They both release and Dwyn places a hand on her sister's head and belly. She gives a gentle kiss and Katniss and I smile. Dwyn hugs us both, a long hug.

Dwyn Jessica-Rose Mellark, 5 years old. Now it is her time to be set free into a world still undiscovered.

"Bye Mama and Daddy! I love you!" Dwyn comments before she runs towards the school door. Katniss and I watch our first daughter embark on a new adventure.

Dwyn stops and turns toward us at the bottom of the stairs, in the middle of the sea of new school kids her age. Katniss and I wave, still holding the tears. Dwyn smiles and walks up the stairs, disappearing into the crowd.

I share a quick kiss with Katniss and stroke Leigh's head before we entwine fingers and silently make our way to the entrance again.

Metres after we exit, Katniss and I both look back at the school. Still walking, we slowly turn our heads towards each other.
When our eyes meet once again we know where to go. Towards the doctors. Where we will have to watch our baby girl cry in pain, her immunisation close to happening.
---
Leigh does as we expected. She's squirming on Katniss' lap and crying her lungs out.

"We're so sorry baby girl." Katniss states. I frown as the doctor prepares the immunisation.

"I'm so sorry doctor, our other daughter was like this too." I apologise to the doctor. He replies, saying that it's normal.

"Leigh." I murmur. She stops squirming on Katniss' lap to look at me. But she still screams and cries, she knows what is going to happen.

"Sir, can you try and restrain your daughter's right arm for me?" He asks, and I nod in reply.

"Katniss, hold her a bit tighter, give her some kisses. I'll hold her arm still." I instruct and I carefully hold her arm. I wipe Leigh's eyes with my thumb before the doctor comes over.

"Leigh. Leigh." Katniss whispers, trying to turn our daughter's head away from her arm. I look away myself as the doctor injects the needle and I swear her screams get louder.
"There we go, all done." the doctor says as he places a small plaster on her arm. I stretch my arms out and Katniss passes out weeping daughter into my arms.

"Oh, baby Leigh." I sigh and kiss her forehead. I rest her against my chest as when her screaming has diminished, yet her cries are quiet, we thank the doctor and leave.

"You brought your wallet didn't you?" Katniss asks me, a hand on my free shoulder.

"Yeah, why?"

"We're going to the toy store."