Chapter 5: Katniss

I scrunch up my face as my unborn daughter kicks again. One of the hardest she must be able to produce. I press my hands to my groin, silently begging for her to stop.

It's been three days since I admitted to Peeta that I knew I'd be giving birth soon. Every day, I feel it coming closer. I've done it before, twice. But it stills scares me to death of what is to come.

I push myself up from where I've been sitting on the sofa, the present pain making itself known in my thighs. I let out a small cry, letting some pain settle first. Then I begin, moving grasping onto the sofa as I do. Suddenly feeling parched.

But then my mouth drops as I hear a crack and liquid gushes out of me. My eyes widen and I see my bare legs dripping with this liquid.

Katniss, your waters has just broken! Your waters has just broken! You're now in labour! Katniss, you're in labour!

I begin squatting to the floor, my calves becoming my support for sitting, which probably isn't wise.

"Dwyn. Dwyn baby?" I call out to my daughter, no longer wanting to move.

"Yeah Mama?" I hear her reply.

"Can you get the phone and call Daddy please?" I call, not asking for a towel. She'll ask all kinds of questions.

Dwyn comes in to the room, phone against her ear. As she approaches, she extends the phone towards me. "It ringing."

"Okay thank you Dwyn." I kiss her head and she nuzzles her body carefully into my side and I press the phone to my left ear, the furthest away from Dwyn ears.

"Hello?"

"Peeta.." I inhale, and exhale a deep breath. "My waters just broke."

"Okay, okay. Wait honey let me out you on speaker." There's a lot of rustling his end.

"I'll come now, how long ago did it break?"

"A couple of minutes ago. I'm really scared." As I say that, Dwyn wraps her arms around me.

"I know baby, I'll bring Mum as well to bring Dwyn up. You just keep talking to me. Okay?"

"Okay." I whisper and tears build up in my eyes. I won't let them flow in front of Dwyn.

"Mum?! Can you come home and pick up Dwyn?" I hear Peeta shout in the bakery, stairs echoing in the background. "Katniss is in labour, I would prefer if we get Dwyn out of there before she gets confused." Peeta answers his Mum and more rustling takes place.
"Katniss, I'm guessing you don't want to move from where you are?"

"Yeah, Dwyn's here so I don't want to say much." I whisper.

"Okay. Mum and I are on our way, baby. Just hang in there. Any contractions yet?"

"No, but I did feel some pain just before it broke. Only 10 seconds." I hear the car start in the phone.

"Okay. You're going to be okay." Peeta replies.

"Dwyn, can you go get that bag you packed with Daddy and some shoes? Grandma is coming to pick you up." I ask her and she nods, running off to her room.

"I'm listening Katniss. I'm not dropping the call."

"You promise?"

"I promise."
~ ~
My breathing is really shaky at this moment. 10 minutes after Peeta said he was coming home and I hope he could come soon. Dwyn, who is ready to go beside me, hugs my chest and I rub her back as the strength in my other hand stays gripped to the sofa.

The door bursts open a few as the thought runs through. "Mama?" Peeta shouts, knowing Dwyn is here.

"Peeta.." I quietly cry, probably making him worried. Peeta emerges into the living room frame and sees us. He gets to his knees in front of me, Peeta's mother entering close behind. Our hands hold each others cheeks as we share a quick kiss.

"I'm going to make sure Dwyn is ready to go okay?"

"Can you get a towel when you come back, and some water?" Peeta nods and turns to Dwyn.

"Let's finish getting ready baby girl." She says to Dwyn and kisses her cheek before Dwyn wraps her arms around Peeta.

"Daddy, what wrong with Mama?" I hear her whisper to Peeta.

"Mama is okay. She just found out that the baby fairy is on its way..." Peeta's answer slowly drifts from my ears as he goes down the hall with Dwyn.

"Katniss." Peeta's mother speaks up and kneels down beside me.

"I'm not ready Mum." Peeta and I agreed that we'd call each others parents Mum and Dad. It was just easier. "I'm not, something is going to happen and make it all a nightmare."

"You're a strong woman Katniss. I know it is painful but the outcome is gong to be magnificent. You'll have another daughter with Peeta. Peeta, I know, is going to be by your side every second he can get from now on. You know that. He is going to be a proud and loving father to another child. You, you'll be a strong and caring mother once again. I see what an impact you've made in Peeta and Dwyn's lives sweetie. I can't imagine anyone else Peeta having a growing family with, than you." I nod and wipe my tear filled eyes.

"You. You Katniss. You, are going to make us and your parents even prouder to have you in our family." Peeta's mother finishes before Peeta comes back in with Dwyn.

Peeta's mother presses her lips to my forehead and I let a small smile linger. "You'll remember what I said?"

"I will." I nod and hug her before she stands up. Dwyn runs up to me and I hug her.
"Bye baby girl." I farewell, giving her a huge kiss on the cheek. "Next time you're home, you'll have a baby sister." I add and she shows me a big smile before hugging Peeta's legs.

"See you later princess." Peeta farewells Dwyn before she runs to grasp his mothers hand.

"Good luck you two." Peeta's mother farewells.

"Bye Mama and Daddy!!" Dwyn exclaims before the door closes.

"Okay." Peeta breathes before sitting in front of me and running the brown towel under me.

"I think I'm still leaking." I comment and Peeta nods. "We don't need to have Rachel yet."

"Okay, I'll call her just letting her know your waters broke but I won't get her to come over for another hour and a half." Peeta answers, picking up my phone before pressing a glass of water to my lips. I drink half of it, replenishing my dry mouth.

"Thank you honey." I lean forward onto Peeta and rest my head against his shoulder.

His hand runs down to my lower back and rubs it, massaging the pain produced by cramps.

I am so lucky to have him as my husband and my protector.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OKAY THAT WAS SUCH A LONG CHAPTER!!!!! TOOK ME NEARLY THREE HOURS TO WRITE IT!

BABY MELLARK #3 IS ARRIVING IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF CHAPTERS!!

AND... IM 3 AWAY FROM 1000 FOLLOWERS! OH MY GOSH! 😳😳😳😱😱😱 GOTTA PREPARE THAT SPEECH NOW..