Chapter 21: Peeta

"Well hello there. Fancy seeing you three. Are you paying Daddy a visit?" I hear my mother say and I smile right away. My wonderful girls.

"He's out the back, working on a special order." my mother finishes and I hear my eldest daughter's feet bouncing against the concrete style floor.

"Daddy!" She exclaims and I turn when I see her.

"Dwyn!" I pick her up and give her a big hug. "You surprised me. I didn't hear you." she laughs and claps.

She bends over behind me and I don't know what she's doing. Until there is flour on my cheek.
She giggles and puts more on my face, I don't mind it. I smile before I turn around and get some on my finger before running a line across each of her cheeks.
Dwyn laughs, causing me to.

I give Dwyn a chocolate cupcake with pink icing and she accepts it, licking the icing off first,
I smile and sit down on a stool close by. "Was school good this morning?" I ask her and she gives me a nod.

"What was your favourite thing you did today?" I ask her.

"We did painting for most of the day. Because it was the last day before the mini holiday." She answers, her mouth full of the cupcake.

"Did you bring your painting back from school?" I ask, wiping her mouth with my thumb.
"It is at home." She finishes her mouthful and then hands me a little bit of the cupcake.

I take it and taste it. I nod and smile at Dwyn, "It's good, isn't it?" Dwyn nods and hugs me.

I put the paper cupcake cup in the bin and then head out to the front. I grow concerned when I hear sniffles and quiet sobs.

I see Katniss sitting on one of the chairs, eyes red from crying and cheeks moist. She looks at me and so does my mother, who holds Leigh.

My mother gets up and takes Dwyn from my arms. "You two need to talk." He says quietly and leaves us.

Katniss stands up and walks to me. I stroke her cheeks with my thumbs and we just look at each other for a few moments.
"What's going on?" I murmur to her, dropping my hands to her waist.

"I - I went to the doctor this morning. You know how we've been thinking about another child right?" I nod.
"Well, I told him about our thoughts and he did a test, just to see everything was okay -" she sniffs and moves locks of hair from her face.

"Peeta. I'm infertile now." she summarises.

"What does that mean?"

"My body is internally damaged from our miscarriage and birth complications. We can't have another baby."