Chapter 25: Katniss

That was only the beginning... 

Peeta continued to spoil us just like he would any other day.

All was going quite comfortably and happily until, my favourite song from years ago came on. The one we had our first dance to. My hands covered my gaping mouth as I stared at him. In confusion, surprise and love. It just happened to be playing, or so I thought.

Willow had asked me why I was close to tears. I ended up summarizing that we danced to this song the day we got married. Oh what a day of love and risk that was.

I didn't register when Peeta stood up until I turned and saw him there, a wide smile beaming on his face. His hand outstretched to mine. I looked to Dwyn and Leigh.

"Will it be okay if Daddy steals Mama for a moment?" I asked and Dwyn was vigorously nodding.

I had to accept the offer then, Peeta helped me up and let me glide behind him to a space close by that was free of any obstacles.

Then I was taken into a dream. It felt like that day again. That moment again. When our hands entwined as we danced as husband and wife for the firsts time.

Peeta's hands gently lay against my waist and mine on the top of his neck. My fingers curling over his jaw and the tips resting on his cheeks.

I was still close to tears, grinning. But this dream was full of joy and freedom. Not of terror that we faced the day of the marriage.

"You don't know how much I love you and how much you've done for me, and our future together." I whispered through the music, only us two in the room. Or so it had felt to me.

"I do, it's indescribable." He whispered back and the tears had begun to flood down my cheeks and there was no turning back. But they weren't tears of sadness and pain. They were of love and joy. Peeta Mellark. My Peeta Mellark. What a change he has made to me that no one else can.

My fingers curled tighter then loosened on his cheeks, yet he didn't seem to mind. I let out a giggle, which is unusual for me. Content with his presence and his words. I close my eyes and he rests his lips upon my forehead. Placing a very delicate kiss, always being so gentle.

After the song ended I was left in a trance for a few moments, just looking at the love of my life. Dwyn was the one to draw me back into the reality we were in.  

That grin never left my face after our dance. A stray tears rolled down my cheek as I watched my daughter's have their turn dancing with their father. At the more upbeat songs. We were all happy together, and that is all I ever wanted. It is all I've ever gotten back from the man that turned my sad life into one that I never thought possible.

I read over my diary entry and smile. I look to Peeta who lies asleep next to me. I'm surprised he even is this early. I rest my pen on the table beside me and gently run my hand over Peeta's shoulder and along his arm. Hoping I don't wake him up. My smile goes wider at the sight of his sleeping form.

My eyes flicker away from him as  I feel my diary pages cascade back to the front. Peeta's message in small black calligraphy  over splashes of green paint.

"Love as tall as mountains; as deep as oceans. Our love shall not break. Forever and Always."

The quote makes me smile every time. It's a routine to read it after my diary entries, to remind myself of the love I have with my husband. I close the diary and set it back in it's drawer.

Turning off the lamp head, I whisper a goodnight to Peeta and cuddle beside him. Ending a beautiful day.