20: Things Get Hella Gay

They went for a walk, because yes, it was kind of awkward when Gerard couldn't stop laughing his motherfucking gay ass head off when Mikey was trying to grow the balls to tell Pete how he felt, and perhaps finally do something worthwhile with his pathetic existence for the first time ever.

Because this mattered, and it mattered a hell of a lot more than it should, well realistically, in the terms of reality, but in the terms of Mikey's head, and how cute Pete was, especially when he smiled, then yes, this mattered just as much as it should, however, not everybody in the world had the same outlook as Mikey did, and unfortunately, Gerard was one of them.

But at the very least, this walk gave them time alone, which meant time alone from Gerard, however time alone ensured there would be no distractions - no way to change the subject, no way out of it, and no way Mikey could just give up entirely, and perhaps, when he looked back, that would appear as a good thing, but truth be told, in that moment, for Mikey, it seriously wasn't, and there was no avoiding that.

And Pete was starting to grow uncomfortable in the silence: eager to find out just what the fuck was going on and get some answers and some explanation from Mikey, however, Mikey was just about prepared to do anything but that, but of course, he could never face Gerard without just sitting it out and setting it straight- well, really not straight, but setting it gay didn't quite have the same ring to it at all, or homoromantic, god that sounded worse, perhaps even worse than his situation, and Mikey would even argue that the aforementioned wasn't an overstatement.

"Mikey?" Pete was of course the first to break the silence, punching the air with his words as the two stopped for a moment, on their walk out Mikey's backdoor, and well, to the middle of fucking nowhere, judging by the field they'd found themselves in, but at least like this there was no one around to judge them, because Mikey cared far too much about what other people thought - it had even been like that from the first day, and the major impression he'd made with his shirt, and neither Pete nor Mikey could ever forget that day.

"Yeah?" It took Mikey embarrassingly long to answer: to even just get his brain to functioning correctly and to stop himself from dying inside. "Fuck, I..." He let out a sigh, brushing his fringe from his face as he did so. "This is really awkward and you don't know what the fuck is going on, but- hey, what did you even come to talk to me about? Like why did you even come over? Let's talk about that, let's talk about fucking anything-"

"Besides the thing you need to say." And it seemed that Pete had seriously just read his fucking mind. "It's obvious; you need to say something, maybe Gerard told you that you needed to, or he just convinced you of it... whatever, Mikey, you need to say it."

"Just tell me something bullshit, just say why you came over, just talk bullshit at me first, I'm... I'm still nervous." Mikey cursed, choosing that spot in the field as the perfect one to stop and sit down on. "I think I'll always be nervous, fuck."

"Yeah, you will." Pete added, "that's why it's probably better just to say it now: I'm not gonna hate you, I could never hate you, I care a lot about you, Mikey."

"It's not, it's just..." Mikey let out a sigh, "why did you come over?"

"No real reason, I just wanted to see you." Mikey met him with a look of disbelief, "oh come on, is that really that bad? Am I not allowed to just want to see you, because I like you, because we're friends, come on, Mikey, we're friends, we're best friends, and we even- fuck... that's what it's about, isn't it?"

"What?" Mikey stuttered out, his cheeks burning up as he spoke.

"'Us' or whatever that could possibly mean. You don't- is this you finally getting the guts to reject me, because I've seen that coming and it's fine, just, just tell it to me straight so I can move on and we can just be normal friends again, and everything can be okay again, because I want it to be like that too, Mikey, I just want us to be normal again, I just want. I just like you, you're my best friend, and I just, it was from the very moment I saw you, but I care more for you as a person and our friendship than stupid crush feelings-"