The Hunter - Chapter 17

Chapter seventeen

My dreams returned that night. They were dark, with only Blake emanating his own light source. I couldn't see his face, but it was there. His bright eyes glowed a remarkable amber color from beneath dark, hooded eyes. I called out for him, but he said nothing. Running toward him, he turned and walked away, taking his light with him. I called to him, tears streaming down my face as he continued to walk away from me.

Why won't he answer me? Why won't he wait for me?

As his light vanished from my sight, a glowing red form appeared beside me. I stopped and stared at the figure. I knew who it was, but I couldn't remember whom. A wicked smile formed on his evil face. Evil red eyes peered from under a hood. He seemed to float over the vast darkness we stood on. He turned toward where Blake was and took chase. I heard myself screaming out in my mind, but nobody paid me any attention.

I sat upright, the dark of night still enveloping the world. Blake laid beside me, his breathing steady and melodic. I nestled against his chest, the chill of his undead body sending shivers through my body. Even his shirt didn't prevent the cold anymore. I watched as a puff of my breath escaped my lips.

It shouldn't be this cold.

I got out of bed and crossed to the window. The curtains fluttered in the breeze as I looked outside.

I didn't open the window. Did I?

"You lied to us," a deep voice said behind me.

I turned to see Marcus standing there. He approached me with an inhuman speed. He grasped my chin, turning my head toward the bed where Blake laid still slumbering.

"What did you do to him?" I asked.

"Don't worry. Your vampire friend is still alive, for lack of a better word. But not for long. You will have to answer for this, as will you parents."

"You can't, Marcus!"

"Alyssa, we have given you option after option to rectify the problem. More chances than most because of your relationship with Mathias."

"There was no relationship. He's crazy! You know he is!"

"That isn't why we're here. Why is the vampire alive? He was supposed to die centuries ago. You let him live, and I know you located the nest. They will be destroyed. You can't save them. Or your family," he hissed in my ear.

"Don't touch them, Marcus. Leave my parents alone."

"You will suffer for your insolence! Do you understand? We will not be defied!"

He released his grip on my face and leapt out the window. I watched as he crossed my front lawn to the street. Panic crept in and took over. I had to do something immediately or everything would be ruined. I could handle one Guild leader.

What's one of them going to be able to do?

I climbed onto the window ledge, looking back at the drugged vampire in my bed, and leapt down to the soft earth below. It gave way as I landed softly on my tiptoes. I closed my eyes and listened for any sound. Feet slapping against the pavement half a black to the left. I hurried to the street and looked toward the sound. The Guild Leader ran from the house toward his brothers, wherever they may be.

"Marcus!" I hollered.

He stopped, turned slowly, and stared at me.

"This ends tonight!" I hollered again.

"You want to take me on, Alyssa? Do you really think you're capable of disposing of me? You know who I am! You know what I can do!"

"It doesn't matter if I think you can. I have to stop you. All of you. I can't let you kill my friends or my parents. You've drilled it into us that the monsters are a threat to society. That will kill humans and eat them. You're all full of shit. They don't want to destroy humanity. They want to live peacefully. They want to shop and act like other teenagers."

"Your mind has been damaged from all your time without other Hunters'. You need to be reeducated."

"No, Marcus! Our ways have to change. We can't go around killing creatures because we don't understand them. I will not kill for you anymore."

He dropped his cloak and flitted to me. Grasping my throat, he stared into my eyes with his dark orbs. "Then you die."

He squeezed, cutting off my air. I let out a faint gurgle as he continued squeezing, his nails digging into my soft flesh. He was about to kill me. I could feel the life leaving my body as he crushed my windpipe. Darkness crept in, threatening to overtake me.

I refused to go though. I dug down deep inside and found what inner strength I had. Grabbing Marcus' arm, I pushed back. Prying his fingers from around my throat, I reached out with my free hand and struck him in the face. He stumbled backward a few steps, staring at me in amusement. He rubbed his cheek where I' struck him and pursed his lips. There was no look of pain or anger. Just amusement. As if I were a child who entertained her father. The expression replaced by disappointment. He shook his head and furrowed his brow.

I'd made the ultimate grievance. I fought back.

He struck out, hitting me square in the chest. I fell backward with the breath leaving my body. I coughed and tried sucking in a breath. Marcus stood over me as I struggled to stand. I saw his leather boot coming toward my face right before it connected with my temple. A throbbing pain started as blood oozed into my eyes. I stood, my legs shaking, charged at the man. I swung at his body, making connection with various parts of his body. I swiped at the blood that continued clouding my vision. As Marcus struck out at my head, I dropped and swept his feet out from under him. Reaching behind me, I pulled out a large dagger. As Marcus struggled gain his bearings, I threw the dagger at his knee. It stuck out as he yelled out in pain. He fell to the ground, pulling the dagger out. Blood soaked the ground beneath him as I picked up my Guild issued weapon.

"You see, Marcus, you're not as strong when you're alone. I'm not weak. I won't allow any of you to succeed."

I stepped on the wound knee before dropping down and straddling him. I stared at the man who finally realized he'd been defeated. A smile crept on my face as I raised the dagger above me.

"Even with my death, you will end up losing, Alyssa."

I shrugged my shoulders and drove the dagger into his body. Blood seeped out of the wound, covering my hands. The metallic smell filled the air as I watched the life leave his eyes. I thought I'd feel a tremendous amount of grief and panic, but I felt relief. One of the Guild Leaders was dead

He's gone.

"What did you do?"

I turned to see my father walking toward me.

"I'm taking care of the problem. The Guild will not control us. They won't kill anymore."

"You killed our Leader?"

"Dad, he's not our leader. Not anymore."

"Alyssa, that is a death sentence," he said, dragging me to my feet.

"They planned on killing us. You guys. They didn't care about anything except killing us."

"Because you disobeyed them!" he shouted at me.

"No. Because I won't kill for them anymore. I won't kill innocents. Not anymore."

I wiped the blade off on my pants and walked back toward the house, leaving my father to deal with Marcus. I finished part of the mission.