The Hunter - Chapter 18

Chapter eighteen

I sat on the couch, wiping my hands on my pants. My father burst through the door, dropping Marcus' body on the living room floor. My mother gasped and stood, looking between the two of us occasionally looking down at the dead man.

"What happened? Why is he dead?" my mother asked.

"Ask your daughter!" my father shouted.

"He's the bad guy! Not me. The Guild is going to kill us. There was no other option. We have no other option. Don't you see that they are the ones we should be fighting? Not the ones they deem to be monsters."

"Alyssa, you have no idea what you have done!" my mother shrieked.

"Calm down. I know exactly what I'm doing," I lied.

She was right about one thing. I had no clue what I was doing. My plans are completely screwed up now.

"No." My mother shook her head. "You don't. You know what happened to the last family that tried standing up to the Guild."

"And I've already gotten further than they did. One of them is dead."

"I can't deal with this right now." My mother turned and started up the stairs. "Please clean up the dead body before morning."

"Yes, mother."

I grabbed his ankles and began to yank him toward the backyard.

"What exactly do you plan on doing with him?" my father asked.

"I don't know. I'll figure something out."

"We can't keep him here. Come on."

He lifted from the other end, his arms under Marcus' armpits.

"So what do you think we should do?" I asked.

"The only thing we can do, burn him."

I dropped the man's feet and stared up at my father. "Burn him? Are you serious?"

"Pre-tell, Guild killing daughter, what shall we do with the body of one of our leaders?"

I shrugged my shoulders and grabbed his ankles. "I don't know, but burn his body?"

"We have to destroy him before his brothers find out. Then we need to sit down with the mons-your friends and figure out what we're all going to do. Because whether your mother and I like it or not, we're in this together now."

"It's about time. I guess I don't have to drug you now."

"What did you say?" he asked as we crossed onto the porch.

"Never mind."

"We'll take him to the cemetery and take care of it there."

"I still don't think we need to burn him. Can't we bury him?" I asked. "He is dead."

"Let's just get him there."

I looked up and say Blake leaning against my father's SUV. "Need help?"

"Are you one of them?" my father asked.

"One of who?" Blake's eyes narrowed at him.

"Alyssa's friends."

Blake sighed heavily. "Yes."

"He's my boyfriend, dad."

"I'm sorry, your what?"

"Boyfriend. You destroyed my last relationship, you won't destroy this one," I muttered.

"He destroyed your last relationship?" Blake asked.