The Hunter - Chapter Twelve

Chapter Eleven

The following morning I knew something was different. Something wasn't the same. I jumped up looked outside, and then ran downstairs.

Everything in the house was the same. Nothing had changed.

"What's wrong, Alyssa?" Father asked, sitting at the table like he did every morning.

"Nothing," I said, pulling the chair out.

"You look tired, dear," Mother said, sliding a plate in front of me.

"I-I just didn't sleep well," I muttered, poking at the eggs she'd made.

"You're not hungry?"

"Not particularly." I got up without eating that uneasy feeling still in the pit of my stomach.

"Alyssa, how nice to see you," a smooth, easy voice said from the corner.

The hair on the back of my neck rose and my toes curled in my slippers. I knew that voice. I hadn't heard it in centuries, but I knew it.

"Mathias, how nice to see you and so early in the morning."

"Please have a seat."

"Thank you." Yes, thank you for inviting me to sit down in my own house. At least I know why I felt so uneasy when I woke up.

"So tell me, dear one, how goes your hunt?"

Does he suspect something? Why is one of the Guild leaders in my living room?

"I'm not sure, Mathias."

"Why aren't you sure," he asked, crossing one jeaned leg over the other.

The Guild was always at the height of fashion. They were also donating to charities and aiding in disaster relief. They never let anyone see their true selves, and they were the only ones in the group who could stay in the public eye for so long; passing off as their own grandsons for hundreds of years.

"The students I've been able to get close to appear to be completely normal. I haven't been able to find a single abnormal thing about them besides the fact they're mortal."

He reached out, trailing his fingers along the side of my face. I clenched my jaw as his lips quirked up. His long neck gave way to a handsome face with a head full of dark hair that hung in his face in just the right way to make any other girl swoon. If it weren't for his perfectly tailored jacket or his leather shoes, you'd think he'd just rolled out of bed. He ran his hands through my hair and pulled my head toward his. I could feel his hot breath on my face. He smelled spicy.

Spicy, hot, and dangerous.

"Stop it, Mathias," I whispered.

"What's wrong, Alyssa? This never bothered you before."

"That was a lifetime ago. I'm telling you now to stop."

"What happened, Alyssa? You haven't fallen in love with another mortal have you?" he asked.

"No. I would never make that mistake again." I pushed his hand away and sat back. "Please, what do you want?"

"I told you, where is the nest?"

"There isn't one. You wasted your time."

He took a deep breath, watching me closely. "I know when you're lying to me, and now is one of those times. Stop lying. I don't know why you're protecting a bunch of monsters, but I want you to stop it. Where is the fucking nest."

"Mathias, you are overstepping the bounds. You can leave now." I stood and walked away.

I could feel him watching as I left. My mind was racing a million miles a second. If he was in town, his brothers couldn't be far behind.