The Hunter - chapter fourteen

Chapter Thirteen

The lab was spotless. Sterile white walls surrounded us, dim yellow lights flixkered, and a few steel gurneys occupied the center of the room.

Chloe walked across the uninviting room and rummaged through a shelf of viles. She shook her head as she picked up one after the other and put it back. I tip toed over to where she was, glancing over the various shaped and sized bottles. The one that caught my eyeIwas a few inches tall and sparkled the most beautiful blue I had ever seen. I reached out for it, but Chloe smacked my hand away before I could.

"That one will kill you faster than you could find the antidote."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Something my father created centuries ago for the French king. He was under pension with them to fight, well, to fight your kind."

"The French king wanted hunters dead?" I asked.

"Yes. Of course. You didn't know his wife was a werecat?"

I realed at the revelation. The Guild probably didn't know of it either. I pursed my lips and carefully put the dangerous elixir back on the shelf.

"Are they all so dangerous?"

"No. There are love potions, sleeping potions, and others that I don't know what they even do."

"Oh," I mumbled running my fingeres over the bottles.

Some of them were ice cold despite the room being so warm. Others were hot enough to burn my fingers.

"Did you find it?" Demia asked from the stair case.

"Not yet," Chloe called back.

"What does it look like?"

"It's purple with specks of dark blue. It almost looks like the night sky." She pulled a step stool out from under the shelf and started rearranging the bottles on top.

I stooped down tothe bottom shelf and did the same thing.

A creak toward the top of the stairs made my heart stop momentarily. We all held our breath and watched, waiting for Chloe's dad to descend the stairs. After a long two minutes when nobody appeared, we continued rummaging.

"Will you two hurry up?" Derryk called to us.

"We're going as fast as we can. If you think you can do better you're more than welcome to do all the searching," I shouted at him.

"Ah hah! Here it is." Chloe held up the small bottle of beauitful potion triumphantly.

I still had mixed feelings about drugging my parents. I knew it was for a greater cause and I need to be able to tell them everything without them reacting predictably.

"Hello?" A strong, deep voice called from the top of the winding staircase.

We stopped and stared. Our voices and breath caught in our throats.

"Shit!" Demia whispered.

"Shh," Blake said. "Is there another way out?" He looked toward Chloe.

She nodded and motioned to the back of the lab. We followed feeling around the rough wall for a door. Heavy foot steps got closer and closer.

"I said hello. Is anyone down here? Chloe? Is that you? You know you're not allowed in the lab unless you're with me!" The voice echoed about us. I had no idea how close he was.

My heart thumped in my chest. I could hear it echoing in my ears. Sweat beaded on my forehead. I had no intention on coming face to face with Frankenstein. Especially now that I knew he created a potion specifically to kill Hunters.