The Hunter - Chapter Eleven

Chapter ten

I stood outside the school staring up at the gothic structure. How could I face them? Despite Blake not reveling my secret, school would be awkward. I couldn't look them in the eyes. Hell, it was hard for me to even talk to them.

"So did it hurt?"

"What?"

"Becoming a vampire."

"From what I remember," he replied.

"Why did you do it?"

"He was lonely. I was vulnerable and didn't have many friends."

"So what happened?"

"Adallan invaded my home."

"How? I thought vampires could only enter a home if invited."

"That's all Hollywood. Adallan began working with my father and they became friends. At least dad thought so. He was being used."

"He just used him?"

"Yeah."

"What happened."

"One afternoon I had gone into the city. When I returned I found my father, my mother, and my sisters dead. They were all drained of their blood. Their cold, lifeless bodies were lying in the parlor as though they were taking afternoon tea, waiting for me to come home. I found him sitting in Father's wing backed chair with a bottle of cognac."

"Did he want to turn you or just eat you?"

"He wanted to eat them. Turn me. He always said I reminded him of himself when he were alive."

"I'm so sorry."

"It's all right."

"No it's not. I always assumed you wanted to be what you are. I never stopped to think that it was against your will. What about the others?"

"They wanted it."

"Why?" I asked.

"They thought it would be a glamorous life."

"What is so glamorous about it?"

"I'm not sure," he said sadly.

"How did you escape?" I asked not looking up. I had a feeling I already knew the answer.

"You."

"What?" I looked up at him in confusion.

"When he didn't come home that night from turning his latest bride we all knew that she was really a hunter. Then we found out that she was a new hunter and Adallan was her first assignment. And that she was, well, you."

"I freed you?"

"Yes."

"Why do you keep his ring?"

"It helps me to blend in. If I didn't have it I wouldn't be able to go to school or out in the sun."

"Oh."

"How can we stop the Guild?"

"We?" I asked. looking at him curiously.

"You don't think I'm going to just let you fight them alone do you?"

"Do you think any of us will let you?"

I spun around to see Chloe standing there. Her long, silky black hair hanging down her back and her tan skin shining under the lights. I stared at her in shocked silence.

What a way for the cat to get out of the bag.

"I can't let you guys. It's too dangerous." I sighed.

"And what, you can just take it?" she asked.

"Chloe I'm over two hundred years old. I think I can."

"You've only actually killed what, one monster?"

"Technically, but I have a lot of practice."

"Practice won't do anything to stop the Guild. They've been around for thousands of years. Every monster and freak knows about them."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault, Alyssa. We know that you didn't choose that life. You were born into it."

"You're more understanding than I would be."

"You're our friend. My best friend and we trust you," she said, smiling.

"I'm going to fix this."

"We all are," Derek said, coming out of the locker room.

"How long have you been there?" I asked.

"Long enough," he replied bitterly.

"Why do you want to help?" Blake snapped.

"Blake, we need all the help we can get. Even if that means Derek helping," I said.

"What's wrong with me?" he asked.

"You hate me. Remember?" I asked.

"You were sent here to kill us. Why wouldn't I hate you?"

"Drop it," Blake mumbled.

"No, I'm not goi..."

Chloe didn't give him the chance to finish. "Enough. We have planning. What do we do?"

We sat on the bleachers staring at each other. Nobody was sure what to do. I know how the guild thinks and I know what they may try to do. What I don't know is how many of my kind they will bring.

"That's just the thing. I don't know. The last time anybody stood up to the Guild, they were executed. The entire family. I saw it."

"You witnessed an entire family being executed?" Herades asked.

"Yes. It was awful. Nobody tried to stand up to them again. I can't stand to think of any of you being killed in such a horrific way." I covered my mouth to stifle the sobs.

Blake wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me into him. My body shuddered as I cried. Who knew that I would grow so attached to a bunch of monsters.

"Nothing like that will happen to us." Chloe patted my back, trying to be reassuring.

"You don't understand the shear evilness of the Guild. They are determined to eradicate all monsters. They don't care if you're a kid or not violent. They just want you dead."

I finally looked up into the faces of my friends. The shock and horror said it all. They were terrified. Of me. Of the Guild. Of what could happen to them. I was the monster in the bunch.

e/33575031