The Hunter - Chapter Nine

Chapter Eight

When the sun began to crest the horizon I gracefully leapt from the tree. Derek and Herades and gone home long ago leaving Blake and I alone.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"Home. My parents will eventually wonder where I'm at."

"Will I see you in class?"

"Of course. Remember, nobody can know. I don't want the Guild to find out. I can't bear the thought of them hurting you or my parents."

"I know. As hard as it will be I won't tell anyone."

My breath hitched and I closed at my eyes as he caressed my face. A shiver ran down my spine and my heart felt heavy. I knew there was no logical way things could work out between Blake and I. The Guild would find out and they would kill us all.

"What's wrong, Alyssa?"

"Nothing, Blake," I whispered, tears welling in my eyes.

"Something is wrong."

"I'm so conflicted. I've never felt like this."

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I said.

He leaned down and gently kissed my cheek. "Sweet dreams, Hunter."

"I don't want to be that anymore."

"Then what?"

"A protector?"

He smiled and waved. I turned and crept home. I didn't want anybody to see or hear me, especially my parents. I snuck in through my bedroom window and slowly changed into my pajamas. I slid under my covers and closed my eyes. I wanted to forget about my night of prowling, to forget about everybody being scared of me. I was glad to have the weekend away from the school.

What do I do? I have to tell everybody and protect them.

I couldn't stop the thoughts. The only thing that would help was sleep, however; it seemed to elude me. Despite being exhausted I just could not fall asleep. I tossed and turned well after the sun was up.

I must have fallen asleep at some point because I woke well after dark and lay there, staring out my window. I didn't want to move. I heard a light tapping on my window and slowly got up. I pushed the window open and stuck my head out, I didn't see anything.

"Let's go."

I looked up, a bit surprised.

"Blake?"

"Come on," he said, reaching his hand down to me.

"Blake, it's one in the morning."

"So?"

"I can't just leave."

"Sure you can. Nobody is stopping you."

I smiled and his persistence and shook my head. "No. We can't abandon everyone here."

"You are too good."

"Perhaps," I said.

"Come sit with me then?" he asked.

I sighed and climbed out the window, sitting on the sill. He swung down from the roof and sat down next to me.

"Do you always show up at girls' house in the middle of the night?"

"Not for a long time." He laughed.

"You know, I'd get in a lot of trouble if my parents saw you here."