The Hunter - Chapter Ten

Chapter Nine

School was hard. I couldn't look anyone in the eye. My soul was torn, everything I that was drilled into my for the past two hundred and fifty years was wrong now. These kids weren't bad. They were kids. I was about to bring a horrible thing down on them. I had to tell them, but I had a feeling they already knew. It started with the Demi's. They glared at me and avoided me. I wouldn't have noticed if Chloe didn't point it out to me.

I heard the tapping on my window around eight. It was dark and I couldn't see anything out my window. I pushed it open and poked my head out.

"Do you always stick your head out to odd noises?" A deep voice asked from above me.

Startled I twisted my head up to see Blake sitting on the roof.

"What the hell are you doing on my roof?"

"Trying to get your attention."

"Why?"

"To talk."

I looked at him for a few moments but sighed, caving in. I climbed onto the sill, jumped and caught the gutter pulling myself up next to him. He didn't say anything. Just laid back and stared at the night sky.

"I've seen more night times than a person should in their lifetime."

"I know," I said. "So have I."

"What are you going to do?" he asked.

"I'm going to tell them. They know something is up. They know a hunter is in town. I'm the new girl. They know it's me."

"Are you sure that's what you want to do?" he asked again.

"Do I have a choice?"

"You look tired, Alyssa."

"I might be immortal, but I do need to sleep," I muttered.

"Go to bed."

"I'll be fine."

"No go."

"I don't want to leave you yet." I leaned against his arm. I was exhausted, but I wanted to enjoy a few more minutes of quiet with Blake.

"I'll lay down with you for a bit."

"That won't be dangerous at all."

"What could be so dangerous?" he asked with a smirk.

"A house full of hunters." I reminded.

"They'll never know. Come on." He stood and quietly slipped into my room.

"Well, I guess that settles that," I mumbled to myself. I followed and slipped under the blankets. "No biting."

He laughed softly. "No biting."

I closed my eyes, breathing heavily as I snuggled against Blake's rock hard body. He reached over and brushed my hair out of my face and continued stroking it as I fell into a deep sleep. He invaded my dreams.

Things were so dark in my room. I sat up to an empty room. I looked around, but Blake was nowhere to be found.

"Blake?" I called out.

No answer.

"Where are you?"

The house was quiet. No mom. No dad. No Blake.

Did they find him here with me? Did they dust him?

I threw off the blankets and jumped out of bed. Running down the hall, I opened all the doors but was greeted by nothing but nothing but empty coldness.

Where is everyone?

At the top of the stairs, I heard a crackling fire and saw the soft glow of an orange flame.

"Hello?" I asked.

Nobody said anything back.

I took a few tentative steps down. "Who's there?"

Only the sound of a fire could be heard.

"Mom? Dad?"

Nothing.

"Blake?"

Silence except for the fire.

My heart pounded in my chest, the wood floor was ice beneath my bare feet.

What is going on?

I entered the dining room and froze. Standing around the dining table were my parents. Strapped to it was Blake.

"What's going on?" I asked.

They turned to look at me, saying nothing.

"Why is Blake strapped to the table? What are you doing to him? Let him go!" I yelled.

Mom held up a crimson envelope. "He has to die."

"What? No! N!" I wailed running to him.

Dad reached out and grabbed me as mom held up my steel dagger.

"You can't! Please don't do this!"

"The Guild ordered it. He has to die."

"Mom, please!" I cried, tears streaming down my cheeks as I stared into Blake's terrified face. He didn't cry. He didn't say a word. He just looked me in the face as Mother held the dagger over her head, ready to plunge it into his heart.

"Alyssa, I love you."

"I-I love you."

The dagger was plunged into his heart. I watched as the second man I loved left my life. He vaporized in front of my eyes. He was reduced to nothing but dust on the table.

"Blake!" I screamed as I sat up.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Oh god!" I sobbed, holding onto him.

"What?"

"I'll tell you in a minute. Hide. My parents." I wiped the tears from my cheeks when I heard them running down the hallway.

In flash he was out of my bed hiding somewhere in my room.

"Alyssa, what's wrong?" Mom asked, throwing open my door.

"Bad dream."

"Are you sure?" Dad asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Alright." They pulled the door shut and before it clicked I felt the bed depress. Blake was back at my side.

"Are you going to tell me what the hell that was about."

"They killed you. The Guild sent a letter ordering your death specifically."

"That's not good," he said.

"No. It's not." I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him. "Don't leave me."

"I'm not going anywhere. Now lay down. It was only a dream. I'm still here."

"I have to tell you something," I said, staring into his beautiful hazel eyes.

"What?" he asked.

"I love you, Blake."

"I love you, Alyssa."