The Hunter - Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Twelve

"Alyssa?"

"What, Blake?"

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. I still don't know how I feel about this ingenious plan."

"We have to do something to get your parents to listen to us," he said.

"I know. I suppose I feel guilty. They are my parents after all."

"Alyssa, the Guild is already showing up. We don't have much time. If you want to save these kids and their families we have to get through to your parents. The only thing to decide now is when."

He grabbed my hand and pulled me in close. His cold breath on my cheek was a cruel reminder that he was one of the monsters I was supposed to kill. His eyes bore into mine. They were hypnotic. I couldn't tear away from them. He trailed his long, cold fingers along the side of my face and down my neck.

"Blake..."

"I want to feel your lips."

"You're so cold," I mumbled.

"It never bothered you before," he said.

"It still doesn't." I clasped his hands in mine, sighing heavily.

"Then what? Tell me."

"We're on the brink of a war, Blake. A war that I'm not sure we're able to win."

"Of course we'll win," he said, stroking my hair.

"I don't think so. You don't understand how awful and terrible the Guild is, they're controlling, conniving, and manipulative."

"I do know how awful they are, and I know vicious they can be."

"Then what do we do, Blake?"

"For right now? Forget about them. For now let me look at you, let me kiss you, let me appreciate you."

My heart leapt to my throat and my stomach clenched.

Forget about everything? Even for a second? How can I?

I closed my eyes and released his hands, allowing him to continue running his frigid digits along my face. I shivered a bit but enjoyed the feeling of his skin against mine. He tangled his hands in my hair and tugged back slightly before pressing his lips to mine.

Like stone.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"For what?" I asked.

"I often forget that I'm undead when I'm around you. Alyssa, you're so full of life you make me feel so full of life despite the fact I have none."

"Blake, I don't know why you're so crazy about me."

"How many times do I have to tell you? I love you."

"I'm bad for you. I'm bad for all of you."

"You can also be the one who saves us," he said.

He leaned down to meet my lips again.

"If you two are finished, we should get the serum to talk with Alyssa's parents," Demia said.

"Already?" I asked.

"Better now than never," she said.

"I suppose so."

"You're not having second thoughts are you?" Derek questioned.

"No, of course not. I'm just nervous is all. I really don't think any of you realize how dangerous these people are."