The Hunter - Chapter Five

Chapter Four

"What are you doing out here?"

"Find out who's killing the people in this town."

"Don't you mean turning?"

"Blake, does it matter?"

"I don't know, Alyssa? Does it?"

"Don't start with me."

"Sitting on a roof top and staring into a town square isn't going to do anything."

"Only one of them fed. The others have to be starving," I said.

"How do you know? Did you check all the farms? What about travelers?"

My face fell. He was right. The filthy vampire was right. "Dammit, Blake."

"It's not my fault you haven't thought of everything," he said, letting his legs dangle off the shops roof.

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked, sighing. I couldn't believe I was asking a monster for advice on how to hunt another monster.

"Honestly?"

"Yes," I said quietly.

"Bait them and then kill them ruthlessly."

"How?" I asked, looking at him curiously from the sides of my eyes.

"Be your sultry self that attracted Adallan. You have this incredibly delicious and tantalizing smell about you. No vampire in his or her right mind will be able to resist such a delicious morsel out alone."

"You are."

"I told you I don't touch humans anymore. Plus, why get rid of someone as amazing as you?" He winked before flipping off the roof and vanishing into the night.

My heart slammed against my chest. What is he doing to me?

"Bait," I muttered to myself.

I stood, surveying the town one last time before walking to the back of the building. I slid down the storm drain and walked home. Disappointed. I hoped they fed more than once a night, but it seemed only one went out a night. Perhaps that was smart on their part. Make it seem as though there was only one killer instead of an entire group.

I climbed the side of the house and pushed open my balcony windows. The breezy blew open my curtains, scattering my papers and maps about.

"Oh come on," I whispered as loudly as I dared. I didn't want to wake my parents, or let them know I was home.

I unclasped my cloak and let it drop to the ground while pulling off my boots.

"How does one dress to be bait," I muttered to myself. I walked about my room pondering the question.

I threw open my bureau, scanning the sea of gowns I had collected over the centuries.

"You're home already?"

I turned to see my mother standing in the doorway with a cup of tea in her hands. "You heard me?"

"You're not very quiet."

"I tried to be." I smiled, taking the steaming, delicate cup from her.

"I do believe that will be your lesson tomorrow."

"Mother, I'm over a hundred. I don't need lessons."

"I heard you downstairs. I think you do."

"Thank you for the tea."

"What are you doing? Why aren't you hunting?"

"They're not going to feed again tonight," I said, riffling through my gowns.