The Hunter - Chapter Two

• Dedicated to Gregory William Wampler

Chapter one

*1700's London

The streets of London were deserted. It was well after two in the morning, of course they were. I had nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide. My heart sped up as I held onto the light post, attempting to catch my breath. My lungs burned and my legs ached from running through the streets.

"Help me! Somebody please!" My hoarse voice echoed back off the brick walls.

It was filled with terror. I made a left down a darkened alley knowing the creature was closing in. I could hear his footsteps high above me as he ran across the roof tops. I yelled out in horror and forced my feet to continue running. My skirt caught in my legs and my head smashed against the cobblestone street before I could reach my hands out to break the fall. I hit hard and my elbows buckled. I felt warm liquid flow down my arms. I looked at my elbow and saw a deep gash with blood pouring out. I knew he'd smell it. I knew he'd find me. I stood under the closest light post. He was close. I could feel him. The struggle to stand was nearly too much for me. Sweat beaded at my brow as I coughed a dry a sound.

"You didn't think you could get away did you?" the deep, soothing voice called to me.

I looked up and saw a shadowy figure sitting on the corner of a building's roof. He gracefully leapt down and walked toward me. The tight bodice of my gown felt even tighter. I couldn't breathe.

"Adallan, I told you I've changed my mind. I don't want to do this."

"You have no choice, my dear girl," he said, standing in front of me in a flash.

"What do you mean?"

"You're mine. I've laid claim to you. You will be my bride," His mouth opened revealing the fangs.

My breath caught in my throat at the sight.

"My family..." my voice trailed off.

"Are of no consequence," he said, closing his eyes and breathing slowly. "The scent of your blood is intoxicating."

He wasn't just smelling, he was listening to it. He reached his hand to my throat, feeling my pulse. Feeling my blood flow through my veins as it pumped out of the wounds to my body. He leaned in close, I could feel his cold breath on my neck. His lips rested on the soft flesh under my jaw. The chill of the undead man sent a shiver through my body. His mouth quivered as the blood in my neck pumped faster. He wanted me. My blood.

"One little bite, my love. It will only hurt a bit." He tugged on my hair slightly and bent my head back.

I let out a pathetic little groan, offering up no resistance. He was right. I could never outrun him. My body felt as though it were about to give out on me already.

He pressed his ice cold lips to my own warm ones. He made my entire body shudder with chills yet again. I froze. I began to doubt myself. I stalled for a moment longer. It could have been a moment too long. I reached my hand up my long sleeve and pulled out the dark stake.

This would be my first kill. My first solo monster hunt.

I smiled coyly and looked up at him. "After I finish with you, I'm going for your coven."

He stopped and looked at me, confused at first. Then it dawned on him. I wasn't just an average London socialite he was turning, I was the enemy. The most vicious alive; a Hunter of the Guild. He let out an otherworldly hiss, taking a few footsteps away from me.

"You bitch!" he spat out.

I thrust my arm out and into the man's chest, into his stone cold heart. I heard a dull grunt, than was covered in dust.