Chapter 40 - I Love You

This chapter was so hard to write I literally had to force the words down so excuse the awkward phrases that I'm sure are in here somewhere....Obsessed with the song above. 

I chuck the ballpoint pen across the room frustration causing me to fist my hands in my hair. Tears start forming in my eyes and I shove the pile of papers away from me I can't take anymore of this. Revision is in full swing and I have spent the past few days working my butt off, I haven't had time to do anything else. Track meets have ended and Ashton has been so busy practicing that I've decided to use my time wisely and start preparing for the midterms that are just around the corner.

Biting my lip I decide I need a break so changing into my running gear and placing my phone in my pocket I start stretching. It feels so good to get out and run and I soon find myself hitting a nice rhythm. The sound of my footfalls is soothing and I feel myself relaxing, my muscles easing as I enter the field where I know Ashton is playing. 

I can hear the shouts and cheers of the game ending, easing to a jog I watch from a distance as the crowds thin. I can see the Academy team in a jubilant huddle, their helmets off as they whoop loudly. I grin as I slowly make my way to them, spotting Brad and Ashton's mop of blonde hair. 

When grey eyes connect with mine they widen in surprise before Ashton disengages from his teammates, walking over to me. 

"Hey" I whisper as he reaches me a broad grin stretching his face as he swoops me in a hug, lifting me off the ground.

"Hey there Belle" He's warm and sticky from playing for so long but I don't really mind, its been so long since we've spent time together.

"What would you say to spending the evening with me watching cheesy rom-coms?" I ask hoping that he'll say yes.

"I'd say there better be popcorn involved or I'm not watching any of your stupid movies" he chuckles at my cross look tucking a stray strand behind my ear.

"So it's a date, see you at six" I quickly move away from laughing at the confused look on his face before jogging back home.

Let's just hope my plan works out, it's not as spectacular as I wanted it to be but we can't all be amazing romantics now can we?

******

There are a lot of things that I'm terrible at in life. Dancing would be one of them but baking was a very close second. So I don't know what possessed me to bake a cake for Ashton, I purse my lips staring at the abomination in front of me.

It was meant to be a chocolate cake but the thing sitting in front of me would better pass as a brick. Hesitantly I press my finger down into the centre hoping that the mixture would spring back up but surprise, surprise it has the density of cement.

"Well, that's OK...I mean the cake was just meant to say I love you. This can still work... as long as he doesn't eat it" I mutter to myself as I take an icing pen and start writing on the cake.

Half an hour later and Ashton and I are sitting on the couch watching 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' a bowl of popcorn sits in between and I'm not surprised when I find it empty again. I seemed to have forgotten how hungry Ethan and Ashton get after practice. As I head into the kitchen to grab a few cans of soda and chips I catch the sight of the cake sitting on the counter and cringe, quickly walking out....

Only to walk straight into Ashton how quickly stops me from falling.

"Woah, where's the fire?" He grins his eyebrows raising as he looks at the no doubt panicked look on me face. Before I can stop him he walks around me and his eyes land on the cake on the counter. I hold my breath as he walks towards the cake, his sneakers shuffling against the tiles.

The cans of soda feel heavy in my hands, Ashton is still making his way towards the counter and my breaths are coming out short. It's seems like hours have passed when Ashton finally lifts his eyes to mine with a grin that stretches from ear to ear.

"You love me huh?" a smirk dances on his lips and I am suddenly reminded of the Ashton I met at the start of the school year. The cool, confident, stone-faced idiot that I've grown to love. 

"No need to look so smug" I say with narrowed eyes lifting my head just a little bit higher. His smirk grows and he stalks a little closer to me, cornering me against the door. He places the food in my hands on the ground before placing his hands on either side of my head.

"I think I have the right to be smug sweetheart, who would have thought that my fake girlfriend would fall for me? I knew you had the hots for me" I scoff and he pulls me against him.

"Please, you're about attractive as a ...as a...spatula" I close my eyes in embarrassment as Ashton starts laughing.

"If that's the case then you have a really bad taste in guys Isabelle" and with that brilliant remark he kisses me senseless.

"Maybe I should find myself a more attractive boyfriend then...you're not exactly cutting it" I tease him enjoying the scowl that my words bring.

"Too late to back out now Storm. Don't you know that couples that gift pictures to each other stay together?" 

"What?" I laugh watching the hint of pink color his cheeks.

"Shut up" he mutters and closes the gap between us, effectively shutting me up.

I could definitely get used to this.

********************************************************************************************Published on 2/8/15

Was this worth the wait? Any room for improvements? I really am terrible at all these lovey dovey scenes which is quite ridculous considering how many I've read but oh well.

Epilogue will take a while due to school but please comment and vote. Love you all for all the support!