Chapter 15 - Football and Cheerleaders

The entire field was packed. I was surrounded by people decked out in our school colours of black and blue and on the bleachers opposite me, people were decked out in red and green. I found myself wondering what the hell I was doing at  a football game when I didn't understand the sports or the excitement behind it. Put me in a soccer game and we're good, I'd be able to tell what was happening, heck I'd probably even admire the players, but football was a whole other ball game.

I hadn't been to one in two years and despite the fact that both my brothers played the sport (Ethan being on the varsity team that were playing now) and James on the junior division I wasn't clued in on the sport's inner workings.

I sigh and look to my left where I can see Joey and Leo sitting, both of them were playing on their phones. Typical. My own cell phone was clutched tightly in my hand, I was waiting for the text message to signal when I should move. Lana was sitting in front of me a wide grin on her face as she talked to her friends and I shook my head with a small smile. No one would suspect that she had just come out of the girls' changing rooms where the cheerleaders were currently changing. If all goes to plan than today's cheerleading performance was going to be...interesting to say the least.

The cheerleaders from both teams filed out shouting out encouraging words to boost the crowd's enthusiasm. I grit my teeth in annoyance as their cheers become louder. The game hadn't even started yet and I wanted to wring their necks, they were so bloody annoying...though that just may be the nerves talking. Our football team ran out onto the football field soon afterwards. They were wearing dark blue shirts with a black  tiger in the centre and white pants. With their helmets on it was hard to tell apart who they were, especially since I wasn't familiar with the football players aside from Brad and Ethan of course. I knew Ashton was somewhere in the team too but I didn't know what number he was so it was pointless trying to look for him.

I guess it goes without saying that our football team was called the Tigers. They were versing one of the other private schools, St Claus. Since this was the first game of the season there were posters all over the school so that the Tigers would have student support. I wasn't completely clueless when it came to the Academy's sporting events. The crowd is cheering loudly now and my grip on my phone tightens. I had no one I could talk to while I waited for my cue, I was the loner, I couldn't exactly strike a conversation with the random people around me. I should've asked Juliette while I had the chance but I didn't want her to find out about the plan just yet. I sigh, my spirits dropping as I watch the players throw around an oval ball as a warm up, the rival team doing the same thing. The game starts soon after and the boys are off.

My eyes shoot back to the cheerleaders dressed in mini skirts and short sleeved shirts. One cheerleader in particular caught my eye, her red hair standing out and drawing attention to her. I smirk slightly as I see her wiggle uncomfortably in her clothes, scratching at her back. I sneak a glance at Leo to see him pretending to record the game even though he was making sure to focus on Justine's jerky movements. He catches me looking and winks before directing his attention back to his phone.

I don't pay attention to the game and tune out the various groans and cheers coming from my peers as I stare at Justine. They were only really jumping around to keep warm right about now, shouting some nonsense about team spirit. Or at least her team was, Justine was too busy jumping sporadically while scratching here and there. I can only imagine how'd she go when they decided to do the human pyramid at half time.

After fifteen minutes, the first quarter ended and I slumped in my seat, only fifteen more minutes and then this will all be worth it. When half time comes around the cheerleaders take centre stage while the players recieve a pep talk from their coach. I don't even realise that I've zoed out until my phone buzzes and I quickly head over to the concession stands that had been set up near the field. I answer my phone admist a crowd of St Claus students.