Chapter 29 - Headaches And Secrets

Sounds of angry muttering and squeaking shoes surrounded me as I struggled to open my eyes.

A terrible pounding in my head was all I could concentrate on as I groan, shifting in my place and coming in contact with a cool metal railing. The smell of disinfectant that hung in the air quickly made me realize that I was, in fact, in a hospital bed.

I clench my teeth as I slowly peel my eyes open and my pupils widen due to the lack of lighting. My eyes assess the area around me to see unplugged hospital machines and a pale blue curtain drawn around my bed. No one was around and I couldn't figure out how to work the various wires and buttons around me so I decide to wait for someone to come by. In the meantime I look towards the bedside table and find my phone, quickly grabbing it to check the time.

I was shocked to see it was half past six in the evening, which meant that I had been unconscious for over an hour (approximately).

My hand gingerly touches my left temple only to come into contact with a bump the size of an ping-pong ball, the area tender to the touch.

Texting my brothers I sigh, leaning back against the bed. This couldn't have come at a better time, tomorrow is homecoming and I'm going to go with a small planet on the side of my head. There was no way I was going to the Homecoming Dance looking like this, hell I don't even want to go to the football game. I don't care whether my, wearing Ashton's letterman jacket is an essential part of the plan I am so over this. So far the only thing we have achieved is everyone talking about Ashton and I's relationship so yes, I've gained popularity but Justine is still the tyrannical bitch that she's always been.

My thoughts soon drift to the after-party at least now, I have a decent excuse not to go. I was going to fake a headache to get everyone off my back earlier but this accident has made things easier. Even while thinking this I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. I had promised Lana and the others that I would go with Ashton.

... Ashton....I wonder how it would feel to be in his arms as we danced to a slow song...

I wonder how he looks in a tux, I bet he looks ten times hotter than the way he looks in his leather jacket. I chuckle softly at my thoughts, picturing my Knight in Black Leather constrained in a penguin suit.  

All of a sudden the curtains to my hospitable bed are pulled back and I'm met with the concerned faces of Ethan, James and Ashton. I look past them to assess the rest of the room. Pale green walls and the white furniture gave the room a pretty depressing feel, three other beds stood in the room, two were unoccupied and the last one had its curtains drawn.

I turn my attention back to the boys who looked relieved to see me awake. That was until I spoke...

"What the hell happened?!"  All three of them seem to darken at the question but it's Ethan's anger that really shocks me. While Ashton looked furious, Ethan was practically livid. Our still mending relationship meant that I know Ethan wasn't completely heartless and immune to my pain and today seemed to prove it. I could feel my older, protective twin brother come to the forefront as Ethan starts ranting about the jocks who were the reason behind my sudden admission to hospital. 

"How the hell could their aim be so off though?" Ethan growls and I scoff thinking back to a certain red-head who has most of the football players wrapped around her claw-like fingers. 

"Justine probably bribed them into doing it" I mutter gritting my teeth as another round of hammering begins inside my head. James hands me some aspirin and a glass of water, smiling softly.

"You should have seen the bump before, it was huge. Ashton spent the past hour holding an ice pack to your head" he leans closer to whisper in my ear "I think the guy really likes you sis"

I feel a blush heating my cheeks and have to avoid eye contact with Ashton as he takes a seat next to me, placing another ice pack against my temple. My brothers mutter some excuse about calling the nurse to check me out but all I can focus on is the coming off Ashton from beside me. With James' words running through my head it was hard to look at Ashton without turning into a cherry tomato. 

"You okay?" Ashton asks, his voice just slightly above a whisper. I find myself nodding along unable to form any words and he seems to sense that as we lapse into silence. 

I was just about to ask Ashton to check up on my brothers when his bruised hand caught my eye. I purse my lips as I pull the hand closer to me, uncaring of Ashton's struggle to pull it away from me. My eyes meet his grey ones in an accusing stare. 

"Please tell me this isn't evidence of a brawl Ashton" He cooly raises an eyebrow as he leans so that our faces are inches apart.

"Alright Isabelle...this isn't evidence of a brawl I may or may not have had with an arrogant son-of-a-gun" a smug smirk highlights his confession and I have this irrational urge to give him a right hook to remember. My temper flares as I yank him closer hating the spark in his eyes that shows how much he is enjoying this- how much he loves getting on my nerves.  

"Want to kiss me that badly, Belle?" He continues to tease. My eyes narrow in anger but before I can say anything, Ashton shuts me up by bringing his lips closer to mine...

I stare wide-eyed at the boy in front of me as he grins wickedly, brushing his lips against mine, once...twice before finally pulling away.

"I think I'll go check on those brothers of yours now, try not to get hit by a football while I'm gone will you babe?" My mouth falls open at his blatant teasing unable to believe the turn of events in the short amount of time since I woke up. 

I have half the mind to get up and punch him repeatedly but the other half and albeit the more dominant half was screaming at me to go to Ashton and finish what he started. The fleeting feel of his lips on mine left a tingling feeling that I could still feel now as I stared at his retreating back. My mind was buzzing and my heart was pounding.

Just what have I gotten myself into? 

*******

Lying on my bed back at home with my thoughts free to roam I found myself replaying the brief-sort of- kiss with Ashton's grey eyes looking into mine with a warmth that I hadn't seen before.

A wistful sigh leaves my lips but is quickly cut short when I turn and come in contact with the ice-pack my dad had left for me earlier. To say he was furious about the fact that some boys used my head for target practice would be an understatement. Let's just say he was spouting swear words that left even my mom speechless. 

What was really confusing though was that my brothers and father disappeared for a few hours and when they came back my father was as good as new, laughing and joking around. He cracked a few jokes on my new appearance and for some reason praised my new boyfriend....

And that was the straw that broke the camel's back. If Ashton thinks a bit of flirting and some sweet kisses can make me forget about the fight he got into he's got another thing coming.

❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃❃

Posted on (17/2/15)

(15/2/15) Who else missed Justine? I can't believe I forgot about my own little Dragon lady, but here she is back with a vengence. Thank you guys for being oh so patient with me! I know this update is late, and sucky and just ugh overall but this chapter and the upcoming ones are really frustrating to write purely because I'm not a planner and this book while planned better than my last...is very rough around the edges.

Anyway Belated Valentines Day to you all and I hope that you all had a lovely day....I most definitely enjoyed my date with my favourite tv-shows. ;P

Btw does anyone know what is happening with the story notifications now?