Chapter 9 - Misunderstandings and Amy

When I walk to school on Friday morning the first thing I notice is the beautiful weather. The sun was out, casting a warm glow on the trees lining the footpath and the breeze was soft and cooling. A smile lights my face and I hum as I continue my trek to school. I'm interrupted however, by my phone ringing in my pocket. I take it out and answer the call, not at all phased as I answer. Ever since Juliette got my number on Tuesday she's been calling and texting me, trying to get to know me better. While I'd usually complain, listening to her rant had become a strange form of entertainment for me.

"Hello?" I ask hesitantly, I forgot to check the caller ID so now I had no idea who was on the other end of the line.

"Uh it's Joey, Isabelle" I freeze in my steps a little shocked that he'd called me.

"Joey?" I ask hesitantly wondering whether it was really him.

"Yeah, it's been a long time huh, Izzy?" he chuckles and I smile.

"Took you long enough to call, did you fall behind on the rumor mill?" 

I can hear him chuckle on the other side of the phone and a smile lights up my face, Joey was always on top of the latest gossip, as strange as that was. The guy loved to be in the loop when it came to the inner workings of the Academy, he said it's good training for when he joins the FBI or CIA.

"You did not just mock my research skills Iz. Anyway, what's this I heard about you and a certain pair of cousins?" he asks and I sigh, there was no way I could lie to him. Especially since he already knows the truth.

"I know, it's a huge surprise to me too. But Juliette is actually pretty awesome Joe, I mean yeah, she has the ability to talk my ear off but she's cool" I say and there's silence for a few more seconds before he speaks again.

"I'm happy for you Iz, you of all people deserve good friends like Juliette plus, she's hot" I splutter, shocked by his blunt statement.

"Jeez Joey, you're such a freaking guy" I cross a street, realizing that I'm close to school now and I'd have to end the call soon.

"What? It's the truth! Not that you're any better Izzy" I furrow my eyes in confusion but before I can even ask what he's talking about, he answers my unspoken question.

"I was going over the school's security footage of Tuesday morning when I came across some interesting video footage....Ashton had you pressed up against the lockers...care to tell me what that was about?' Joey, at times could be as bad as Ethan. Back in freshman year before everything happened, Ethan was the over protective brother. He'd make sure no guy even looked at me funny. It seemed that was exactly what Joey was doing now. I didn't even bother asking what he was doing hacking into the school's system.

"It's not what it looks like" I mutter quickly and he scoffs which causes me to groan in frustration "I'm telling you the truth"

"Oh I'm going to make sure of it, that guy needs to know his boundaries" my protests fall on deaf ears as Joey hangs up and I curse in frustration. The idiot has got the completely wrong idea and now he was going to do something stupid like talk to Ashton about our 'relationship'.

I mutter curses all the way to school, my anger at Joey quickly rising and thoughts of what Ashton will do get into my head. What the hell will Ashton even think? 

I bite my lips as I think of the worst possibilities, I didn't even notice I had made it to my locker until I saw the usual graffiti on the blue steel. I spin my combination and spend longer than necessary taking out what I need.

I walk into Homeroom ready to sit down, only for Miss Morrisson to give me the dreaded yellow slip which sends me straight to the guidance counselor's office. Biting back my groan I make my way to Miss Wright's office already knowing that she's going to ask about my nonexistent extra-curricular activities.