Chapter Six: Violet Hill/Breakfast In America

Laurence sat behind his desk, grading some papers, drinking some beer, with Breakfast In America by Supertramp in the background. His eyes started to droop (metaphorically), and he almost slowly dozed off, had it not been for the loud music blaring. The words on the page started to blur into little meaningless lines on a white background.

"LAURENCE!" Bethany screamed. Laurence quickly shot up, still half-asleep. 

"Huh?" he slurred, barely able to compose himself. 

"YOU SAID YOU WOULD DO THE FUCKING DISHWASHER!" 

"Oh, yeah... sorry about that..." he mumbled. 

"WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY FOR YOURSELF?" 

"Sorry?" 

"THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT! WHEN I ASK YOU TO DO SOMETHING, FUCKING DO IT!" 

"I'm sorry, babe... I have work to mark." 

"DO I LOOK LIKE I FUCKING CARE?" Bethany screamed. 

"SORRY I HAVE A FUCKING JOB!" Laurence argued, sarcastically. 

"IF YOU DON'T DO THE FUCKING DISHWASHER RIGHT NOW..." 

"Can I finish marking Randy's assignment first?" 

"NOT UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED THE DISHWASHER!" 

Laurence banged his head against the desk in frustration, banging his last few live brain cells. He took another sip of his ice cold beer, seeking any motivation. A bright little ping came from his phone. He looked at it, trying to read it without having to adjust his eyes. 

how are the assignments going? x - Ingrid

Laurence smiled at the text. He liked Ingrid, like a lot. She was hot, but he had Bethany. He swiped his lock screen and typed his reply. 

it's a hard knock life :( 

He pressed the send button, immediately falling asleep. He turned off his music, and quietly dozed off on his desk for a quick second, until he heard another little ping. 

someone needs a party :) - Ingrid

Laurence quickly saw the text and swiped to unlock. Drool started to drip from his tired, exhausted mouth. 

all I need is a good coffee. this baby will be the death of me. 

He responded and rubbed his aching temples. Ingrid immediately replied. 

how's that going? - Ingrid

Laurence sighed, feeling obligated to keep the conversation going. 

she's screaming because i haven't done the dishwasher. wtf i hate my life. 

His eyelids were fighting the urge to close, but he still needed to talk to Ingrid. 

stay at mine? :) - Ingrid

Laurence shook his head, but realised she couldn't physically see it. 

nah m8. bethany will cut my dick off and what about parkinson? 

"LAURENCE! GET THE FUCK OVER HERE NOW!" Bethany yelled. Laurence groaned. 

you can call him roderick outside of work, you know. and roderick doesn't live with me. - Ingrid

"COME HERE BEFORE I CUT YOUR DICK OFF!" 

well, bethany's screaming right now. bye xx 

Laurence shut off his phone and immediately fell asleep on the desk, unable to resist the urge.