Chapter 4

Leidi

Late that night. I sneak out of my room. I'd like to see more of the palace. I pull up the hood of my old cloak, to hide my hideous features.

I steal quietly through the darkness. Careful not to wake anyone. I walk down the halls. This place is more beautiful at night. I look up and see two moons. They're breathtaking.

I see a set of stairs, leading to darkness. My curiosity got the better of my reason. I slowly descend the stairs and pray for Thor or some guard to come stop me. To say it's forbidden. Because my terror is being suppressed by my curiosity.

When I reach the bottom, there is a long hall. I want to turn back, but I can't. If I do, and I'm caught, they will think I went all the way. I might as well go before I get in trouble.

At the end of a hall, there is a cell. I peer inside and see a man. He looks younger than Thor, but older than I do. His eyes are green, as are my own. His black hair is a tousled mess. His clothes looked like the once looked good, but have long since worn.

His skin is pale like my own, but his nose is longer and his mouth... I swallow that thought. I stand in shock and horror as he looks up at me.

My hand goes up to my mouth. How could anyone be so heartless as to do that to someone? He cannot speak, but I hear his suffering. I see his unshed tears. I see the agony in his eyes.

"Leidi," Thor calls out. Uh oh. I look at him. "What are you doing down here? You shouldn't be here." Thor looks at the man, apologetically. "He-" I begin but Thor silences me.

"Why?" I ask referring to the man. "He is a criminal," he states simply. "But why would someone do such a thing?" I ask in disbelief. "It's justice," Thor says. "That's not justice. That's cruel," I snap, "Criminal or not, no one deserves that!"

I'm on the brink of tears. "I know," Thor says, grabbing my arm and dragging me away. "Let go!" I say fighting his grip. But he's too strong.

Thor escorts me to my room and leaves me. I don't think he's gone so I sit in my room. Tears sting my eyes. I don't know why I'm crying for the man. I just am.

Loki

I didn't see her face. Not with that cloak. But she saw mine. I saw the look of horror in her eyes as she saw what had become of me.

I don't know who she was, but she was foolish to come down here. Her green eyes were all I saw along with a few strands of her dead black hair.

She looked at me as if she knew what I wanted to say. She stood as if she wanted to free me. She stayed as if she understood my pain.

She's gone now. Taken by Thor. Her eyes didn't leave mine, until she was out of sight. Lady, Thor called her. But lady what?

I'll never know, because I know she won't be back. They'll make sure of it. I wanted to yell. To shout. To make her stay longer. But sadly, I could not.