Chapter 28

Blackout

Argh. The mischief God will spoil my plan as he always does. He's already begun to suspect me. What will I do if he finds out? He'll not spare me. But my plan is already in motion.

If I am going to convince Loki that everything is normal, I'll need to dig into the recesses of her mind and memory. And if I'm going to succeed, I am going to have to get close. Uncomfortably close.

Leidi

I feel pain and agony. I scream yet make no sound. I cry yet no tears come. I call yet no answers. I feel as if someone is digging through my skull. Into my brain.

I feel information being ripped from my head. Blood drips down the head of my subconscious. I feel it. A man appears in front of me. He has white hair and pale skin, like Malekith, but he's not.

He looks like some sort of vampire to me. He grins, showing off his fangs as his hand digs into my head. Grey chunks litter the ground around me.

I should be dead, but I'm not. It's excruciatingly slow and painful. This man relishes every minute. "Fear not, I shall leave you when I get what I want," he sneers, "and you will wake up to see your lovely masterpiece. Your work of art. The corpse of your love."

"Who are you?" I say. "Blackout."

I scream and he fades away, laughing menacingly. Tears sting my face as the grey chunks fade and my head mends. I crumple to the ground sobbing hysterically. "LOKI!!!!!" I scream, knowing he can't hear me.

I reach out for his mind one last time, hoping he'll get the message.

Loki

A scream pierces my train of thought. I can't find the source, because it's in my head. Whatever it is, screamed my name. It brought pain, but for now, I must save Leidi from whatever it is that's controlling her.

She makes herself comfortable in the chair again. She hasn't done that in a while. She has no problem with sleeping in my bed anymore. What's wrong today?

I stare at her. "Leidi? What is going on with you?" "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm perfectly fine, love," she coos, getting up and pinning me to my bed. She presses her forehead against mine, "do you need me to cool you off?"

That tears it. I sit up, knocking my forehead against her by accident. "Who are you?" I say. "Loki, it's me. Leidi," tears well up in her eyes. "I-I'm sorry," I say.

She straddles my waist, the tears fading almost immediately. The red streaks are bigger and more noticeable than ever. As if her entire iris is red, except for a few streaks of green.

Loki. That's not me. Don't listen to her. Or him. It's a him.

Leidi? Where are you?

Buried deep into my own mind. Push me off. Just do it. It's a trap. He wants to kill you.

Who?

Blackout. He said his name was Blackout.

Leidi? Leidi? LEIDI!!!

Her voice fades from my memory. I knew this would happen. I confess my love for her, and now my enemies are targeting her. It hurts me. I feel pure agony.

I place a hand on each of her shoulders and I push her back. I push her away. She stumbles backwards and looks at me confused.

"Loki? What's wrong?" She looks at me as if she were innocent. "Your game is done, Blackout," I spit. "Ah, so you've finally figured it out, Mischief God," a male voice comes from Leidi's body.

I back away. This is not Leidi.