Chapter 6

Leidi

That night, I move quietly through the palace walls, running with no noise. I tiptoe down the stairs and scurry through the darkness until I reach Loki's cell. I look behind me and make sure no one followed me.

When I confirm that the coast is clear, I gather all magic in me, and push through the bars. He looks up at me.

I crouch and make my face level with his. I pull down my hood and look him in the eyes. There's just silence between us.

I rest my hand on the side of his face and skim his lips with my thumb. "What have they done to you?" I whisper.

He winces in pain and I pull back. "I'm sorry," I say. I place a hand behind his head and rest his forehead on mine. He shows no resistance.

You can't talk to me out loud, but you may speak your mind in here, I say allowing him into my thoughts. He shuts his green eyes.

Who are you? He asks. Leidi, I reply. Lady what? He says. Actually, my name is Leidi, I explain.

Why are you here? Shouldn't you be out there?

So should you. You do not deserve to be here.

Yes I do. You don't know me.

No you don't. What could you have possibly done to deserve this?

It does not concern you.

I don't care if it doesn't. Why would someone do such a thing?

You don't know the Aesir as well as I do.

You're right. I don't. But I have nowhere else to go.

Leave now. I wish to be alone.

Why should I?

Because I am dangerous.

Dangerous how?

Do not test me.

Why not?

Loki lunges forward and wraps his hands around my neck. I stifle a scream and gasp for air. His long fingers only tighten

Why aren't you screaming?

I do not wish to worsen your punishment.

Do you possibly think it could get any worse?

No.

I feel my vision going black at the edges and Loki's sealed lips curving into a smile. I attempt to pry his fingers off of me.

I cannot hold out much longer. My illusion collapses and I revert back to my jotunn form. Loki's fingers loosen and his eyes widen.

You're a jotunn.

Don't look at me!

Tears spill through my eyes as I push through the bars and run to my room. I pull up my cloak and hide my face.

Leidi!

Loki's voice rings through my thoughts. I ignore him and enter my room and shut the door, returning my illusion. I lie on my bed and sob into my pillow.

Suddenly I regret everything. I regret going down there. I regret coming to Asgard. I regret being born. I drift off to sleep eventually.

"Leidi," a voice calls, "Leidi." I get up. I'm no longer in bed, but in a small spotlight. "Who's there," I stand and look around. But there's no one. "Hello?" I call. "I'm behind you," the voice says.