Chapter 22

Leidi

Jane and I stand impatiently in front of the Svartals ship. They were foolish enough to leave it behind. But what is taking Thor and Loki so long?

"Where are they?" Jane steals the words out of my mouth. "I know not where they linger, but it is best they hurry up. We may be caught," I reply. Jane looks at me, "So how are you and Thor related?"

"We're not," I say simply. "Then, why does he fawn over you?" She says. "Are you doubting my intentions?" I raise an eyebrow at her, "because I am loyal to Loki and Loki only. Unlike you with your other man. What was his name? Richard?"

Her eyes widen, "How did you know about that?" "Heimdall and I are luckily on good terms," I reply curtly, "Mind you, I do not appreciate your nose in my personal life. Thor is like an older brother to me."

Jane looks the other way, slightly annoyed. I smile, knowing I've put this mortal woman in her place.

It feels like hours before Thor and Loki come bounding in, out of breath. "Where have you been?" Jane says. "Causing trouble no doubt," I mutter, "it's as if you are children." The men laugh and usher us into the ship before entering themselves.

Thor looks at the control panel and presses a button. When it doesn't do anything he presses another and then another. "I thought you said you knew how to fly this thing," Loki says. "I said how hard could it be," he replies.

"Well, whatever you're doing, brother, I suggest you do it faster," Loki says looking at the buttons curiously. "Shut up, Loki," Thor doesn't look up from the buttons.

"You must've missed something," Loki suggests. "I didn't I'm pressing every button on this thing," Thor keeps pressing buttons. "No don't hit it. Just press it gently," Loki says. Thor pounds harder on the buttons, "I am pressing it gently, it's not working!!" He yells, frustrated.

I drag a hand down my face. Oh, Thor. He hits a random button and the ship starts finally. He laughs triumphantly and grabs the steering mechanism.

Thor grins as we lift off the ground, knocking down many columns in the process. "I think you missed a column," Loki says sarcastically. "SHUT UP!" Thor yells.

We burst through the palace wall and Thor raises the ship slightly. "Look, why don't you let me take over. I'm clearly the better pilot," Loki says slowly. "Is that right? Out of the two of us, which one can actually fly?" Thor says, causing Loki to recoil again. Jane and I erupt into laughter.

We fly over a group of people, and they all duck as the ship flies dangerously close to them. Jane passes out on the floor from the extreme g-force. "Oh dear, is she dead?" Loki says looking at Jane. "Jane?" Thor says, worry lacing his voice. "I'm okay," she says weakly, as I help her sit up.

The plane flips around and crashes through the roof of a building. "Not a word," Thor says to Loki. The Asgardians finally catch up, and battleships begin trailing us. "Now they're following us," Loki states the obvious.

The battleships begin firing at the ship. We take a few hits, our ship shuddering. "Now they're firing at us." "Yeah, thank you for the commentary Loki! It's not at all distracting!" Thor yells, infuriated.

The ship crashes through a statue of King Bor. "Well done! You just decapitated your grandfather!" Thor looks behind him to see.

"You know, this is wonderful," Loki says, "This is a tremendous idea. Let's steal the biggest most obvious ship in the universe and escape in that! Flying around the city! Smashing into everything in sight so everyone can see us!" Thor opens the door to the ship. "It's brilliant Thor! It's truly brilli-"

Loki is cut off when Thor pushes Loki out of the open door. "LOKI!!" I scream briefly, "Thor! What the Hel has gotten into you?" I look at him and he has a smile on his face.

He lifts Jane from the ground next to me and motions for me to jump out. I realize this is part of his plan. I punch Thor in the arm playfully before shutting my eyes and leaping from the ship.

I land directly into Fandral's ready arms. "Hello, gorgeous," he smirks. "Fandral put me down," I say. He sets me down gently in my feet. Loki is still recovering from his fall.

"Are you alright?" I say skimming Loki's cheekbone lightly with my thumb. He nods breathlessly. I kiss him softly, but passionately. He returns the gesture resting his hand on the side of my face.

"Will you two not do that? Or will I have to toss you two off this ship?" Fandral says. We reluctantly pull away. I sit cross-legged next to Loki, leaning on his shoulder. Thor jumps down with Jane, as the battleships follow the abandoned ship.

The Asgardian Warriors realize they've been tricked when our ship plunges into the ocean. "You lied to me," Loki says, "I'm impressed." He gets up. "I'm glad you're pleased, now do as you promised and take us to your secret path," Thor says.

Loki takes the control and grins. "He's getting that look again!" I say. Thor turns to see that a battleship has caught up. "Fandral," he notions. "Right. For Asgard," he says jumping off of the ship with a rope.

Thor sees the small opening we approach, "Loki?" "If it were easy, everyone would do it," Loki says. "Are you mad?" Thor says. "Possibly."

Thor puts an arm on Jane's shoulder before we enter the small gap. I shriek, "LOKI!" The sparks jump dangerously close. I shut my eyes as we burst through the other side of the tunnel. "Ta-da!" Loki says. I look at him and laugh. I throw my arms around him. He returns the hug.

I look around and recognize my surroundings. I remember all of the sick twisted torture I endured here. And it's the reason for my problems.

We exit the ship as Thor nods at Loki, signaling for him to put our plan in motion. "Do you not trust me brother?" Loki asked. "Would you?" Thor says, turning to him. "No I would not," Loki says before stabbing Thor in the stomach.

I gasp as Thor tumbles down the hill. "THOR!" Jane yells. Thor props himself up on his hand as Loki walks up to him. "You think I care about Leidi? About any of you?" He says before kicking Thor in the side. His words sting.

Thor extends his arm, summoning Mjolnir. Loki grabs his hand and cuts it off with his dagger. "Loki! Stop this madness!" I yell. His eyes snap to me, as I run toward him and Thor. Jane crouches next to Thor. Loki grabs me by the arms before shoving me roughly toward Malekith.

"I am Loki, of Jotunheim! I bring you a gift! In return I ask for a good seat from which to watch this universe burn!" He declares. "Loki, please don't," I sniff, tears in my eyes. "Malekith looks between me and Loki.

"She has the Aether," he whispers. He stands over Thor next. He looks at his missing hand, then lifts his hand. I float into the air as the Aether is forced out of my body. I scream in pain.

I crumple to the ground when the dirty work is done. "Loki, now!!" Thor yells. With a flick of his wrist, Thor's hand returns, and Mjolnir comes into his grasp. Loki pulls me and Jane to our feet, turning so we're both shielded from the blast.

Thor sends a surge of lightning towards the Aether, and an explosion knocks us over, with Loki shielding us with himself.

The Aether is no longer above us. It's gone. But then small shards of it float into the air, and form the Aether once more, before filling Malekith.

"Uh oh," Jane says. "You took the words out of my mouth," Loki says.