Chapter 15

Loki

I informed Thor of what Leidi had told me. The two of us stormed towards Baldr's chamber. Thor knocks on the door. "Baldr! Come out here now!"

"Yes, brother?" He says, opening the door. "Where is Leidi?" Thor demands. "Lady what?" Baldr answers. "Do not play dumb! Where is she!" He growls. "I honestly don't know what you're talking about," he chuckles, "you cannot hurl such accusations at me without proof."

With that, Baldr closes the door. But I noticed something. His cape is missing.

Leidi

I wake up, curled in Baldr's cape. Tears spill from my eyes. Just as I thought things were getting better.

I regret everything. Coming to Asgard. Being born. Everything. No one will ever want me. I'm just Baldr's toy, until he grows bored.

"Leidi!" Baldr's voice slurs in the dark. I close my eyes and pretend to be sleeping. "You can't fool me! I know your awake!" He stumbles and knocks the chair down. He's drunk.

"There's my beautiful princess!" He pushes his lips against my ear, "shall I make love to you, my pet? Will that please you?"

"GET AWAY FROM ME!!" I shriek, pushing him to the ground. He looks at me with shock and anger.

I know I'm only making things worse for myself, but I will not submit to this bastard!

Loki

Thor and I followed Baldr the next morning. We ducked behind bushes in front of a house. An abandoned house.

I wanted to go in and bust Baldr immediately. But Thor warned me off of it. Baldr had staggered out, intoxicated. He could harm Leidi in panic.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" A scream rings out, piercing the silence. Leidi's scream. I shoot forward but Thor stops me.

"He's hurting her! Why are you stopping me?" Thor puts a finger to his lips and slowly and quietly approaches the shack, with me trailing closely behind.

"LOKI!!!" She screams. "HE CANT HEAR YOU!" Baldr shouts and a clatter follows it, "WHY DO YOU LOVE HIM AND NOT ME!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?" "STAY AWAY!" Leidi screams again.

Thor slowly opens the door and enters to see Leidi cowering and naked. Baldr stares at her hungrily.

I don't listen to Thor this time. I move forward and grab Baldr by his hair and yank him back. I pull back my fist and strike him in the face. Once. Twice. Thrice. Until I see blood splatter from his mouth and two teeth hit the floor.

He isn't as agile in this state. He falls to the ground and I kick him in the side. "This is for Leidi! And this is for hurting her! And this is for abusing her! And this is for making her cry!"

I don't stop kicking him until he lies on the ground, unconscious. I unclip my cape and drape it over Leidi's shoulders. She pulls it tight to cover her entire body. I pull her into my arms roughly, kissing the top of her head. "Loki," she mumbles. Her voice is hoarse from the screaming.

I stroke her head until her knees buckle and she passes out in my arms. I ease an arm under her shoulder and one behind her knees. I lift her and her head falls against my shoulder.

Thor tosses Baldr's limp body over his shoulder. He looks at the ground. I see why. The man he considered a brother, has betrayed his trust and harmed an innocent.

Same as I. But I harmed many innocents. The walk home is silent. Usually, we'd celebrate a victory like this, laughing and telling the story when we return. But not this time.

Too much has happened for that. Tears slip out of my eyes as I see a large bruise on Leidi's cheek. There are a trail of marks on her neck. Rage builds inside of me.

____________________________________

When we reach the palace, Sif and the Warriors Three appear to be waiting for us. Worry is clear on their faces.

"Oh dear. What has happened?" Sif gasps. I gesture to Baldr, "This scum happened." "Thor?"

"He is telling the truth. Baldr kidnapped Leidi and was using her for his selfish purposes," Thor said through gritted teeth.

"Baldr? But how? I agree he left the palace intoxicated but..." Sif trails off when she sees the large bruise on the side of Leidi's face.

"Oh dear," Sif says. "Well don't just stand there! Get her to a healer!" Volstagg almost shouts.

As I head for the infirmary I regret so many choices. I regret attacking her that day when she let me into her thoughts. I regret attacking Midgard. I regret every wrong choice I'd ever made.

____________________________________

I pace nervously outside of the infirmary. "Loki, stop that! You are not putting my mind at ease," Thor says. "Sorry," I say sitting down next to him.

"You really love her don't you?" He says patting my back. "More than I'd ever loved anything in my life," I admit, "but I can't tell her that. Just the other night, she said she want ready for anything. She's innocent. She merely wanted to be friends."

Thor nods understanding. "Women are strange creatures brother," Thor says, "But they're beautiful." "I came close to telling her how I felt. Now look what happened," I say.

"It's alright. But you need to tell her as soon as you feel you're ready," Thor says. "But what if she's not ready?" "Then you shall wait for her. Good things come to those who are patient."

I nod. A year ago, we were fighting on Midgard. He was stitching my mouth closed. And now, he's giving me advice on women. It's as if we are children again and he is leading me through the halls, showing me that there are no monsters.

I feel as if we're brothers again. No. We were always brothers.