Chapter 16

Leidi

I wake up dizzy and disoriented in the infirmary. I am wearing a medical gown. How did I get here?

I remember Baldr standing over me, drunk. I remember Loki, yanking him away and striking him in the face repeatedly.

I remember his words as he kicked Baldr on the ground, despite Thor's warnings.

This is for Leidi! And this is for hurting her! And this is for abusing her! And this is for making her cry!

Maybe he does care. At least a little. Tears form in my eyes. Where is Loki now?

I groan and try to get up, but a healer comes rushing over to stop me. "Don't get up dear. You need rest," she says, her voice dripping with syrup.

"Loki," I groan. "Do you want to see him?" I think for a moment. I don't want him to see me like this. But still...

"Yes," I croak. The healer nods and leaves to get Loki.

Loki

I sit outside of the infirmary. I've been here a day. Everyone else went home. But I stayed behind.

"Sir Loki?" The healer catches my attention. I stand up, towering over her. She trembles a little. The people of Asgard are still a little frightened of me for all I've done. I don't blame them.

"You need not be afraid. What is it you need to say?" I ask gently, careful not to set off the poor woman. "Leidi is awake and she wishes to see you," the woman stammers.

I smile brightly, "Thank you for taking care of her." I follow the healer into the room.

Leidi lies on the hospital cot. A large bruise shows on the side of her face. I brush a stray strand of hair away.

Leidi reaches up and throws her arms around her neck. She cries in my arms. I hold her tight and stroke her hair, "it's alright. I'm here now."

"I'm sorry, Loki. It's all my fault," she sobs. "No it's not," I whisper. We stay like that for a long time, neither of us wanting to break the embrace.

"Baldr is going to pay for what he's done to you," I growl. "He already has. You knocked out two of his teeth and dislocated his jaw," she says, "and I think you broke a few of his ribs."

"He deserves far worse than that," I say. "No Loki. Don't do anything else," she says, "the All-Father is already enraged upon seeing Baldr's condition. Don't upset him any more."

"I don't care if the veins in Odin's head burst. Baldr won't get away with this," I say, "and even if you stop me, what's to stop Thor? He considers you a little sister."

"I am aware. He's told me. On several occasions," she laughs hoarsely, "I remind him of you." "You remind me of me to," I chuckle.

She pulls back a few inches to look at me, "Don't do anything stupid," she says, skimming my lips with her thumb. "Why do people always tell me that?" I smile.

I reach down and kiss her, slowly. I pull back and look in her eyes. I don't care what she says. Baldr will pay.

____________________________________

Baldr

Damn Thor. Damn Loki. Damn them all to Hel! I thought Odin would not believe the God of Lies, and yet I end up in this situation.

I was merely enjoying myself. And as much as Loki has hurt me in my life, he deserved to see his beloved in the arms of another.

"Baldr, I considered you my son. I raised you and provided you everything you desired. What did I lack?" Odin yells.

"You prey on a defenseless young woman, she who is to watch over Loki? And yet you keep hopes for mercy?"

"Father, if I may, I've learned that the girl is no Aesir," I say.

"I am aware of that! She is here at the queen's mercy! Do not change the topic," he yells.

"But she is a frost giant!"

"I am aware of that."

"And yet you allow her to stay?!"

"She is their enemy as well. But as for now, you are banished. I take from you your power, and I cast you out!"

I fall back into an abyss. I'm being sent to Midgard. At least the truth of the girl has been told.