If Looks Could Kill ch. 18

As we reached the school we were both completely uncomfortable. What if something had happened and we just weren’t around to know? We were gone for almost three days after all. I grew even more tense as we circled the lot looking for a parking space. Every car that wasn’t Brent’s or Micheal’s only made it worse. Jake quickly swerved into a spot totally cutting off a guy who was about to park there.

“You weren’t quick enough,” Jake said as if the other driver could hear him and got out.

I scrambled after him giving the guy an apologetic shrug. Being surrounded by people again after being out in the open made me squirm, every time someone brushed passed me I had to bite back a growl. Both of us were scanning the lot for any signs of them but we couldn’t find anything.

Suddenly I stopped giving and audible sigh.

“What?” Jake almost demanded.

“Isn’t that Shay?” I asked him. He looked around.

 “Where?” He asked confused.

“No, that’s her scent” I hissed so no one would hear.

Jake sniffed the air trying to be discreet, he nodded and we followed the scent. It wasn’t easy, though, there were so many other scents. But we didn’t have to trace it very far, we found Shay, Brent and Micheal just inside the school. They looked like they were waiting for us.

Brent was leaning against a locker always looking cool and under control. Shay had her arms crossed with her signature glare in place. Micheal had his hands in his pockets looking slightly annoyed.

When he saw us he walked up to Jake and stabbed a finger at his chest, “Where have you been?” he commanded, slightly annoyed turned to red hot rage as a vain ticked on his temple and his hand shook. His glower aimed at me too, “Just because you’re new doesn’t mean you’re off the hook.”

I shrank back from his anger, looking down and stepping back submissively.

Jake crossed his arms and set his jaw, “Don’t be an ass, Micheal.”

Shay stepped closer and threw her arms in the air, something I noticed she did quite often, “Well what the hell were you two doing all weekend? None of us has heard from either of you and this morning we find a dead wolf. What? Did you think we would be all cupcakes and candy this morning?”

“So it wasn’t one of us?” I asked the relief obviously dripping in my tone.

“Shut-up newbie,” Shay spat “you’re not ‘us’ yet.”

That hurt wolf a lot, she whined begging me to look away and back down. Maybe if we were good she would accept us as pack. We’re pack I assured her even though I wasn’t entirely sure.

“Uh guys” Brent jumped in “we’re catching attention…”

Jake kept up his stare off with Micheal, ignoring Brent’s comment, “oh shut-up Shay you’re just jealous you’re not the only girl anymore.”

To my utter surprise her cheeks flushed a little. Shay was jealous of me?

“Jake,” Micheal growled, stepping in front of Shay without breaking their eye contact.

Jake’s nostrils flared and he took a step closer to Micheal.

            Brent rushed forward grabbing Shay and I, herding us behind him. I turned just in time to see Micheal explode. He dealt two punches before Jake even knew it was coming, but he managed to block the third one and throw in a punch of his own.