If Looks Could Kill ch. 12

Avoiding Zach was almost impossible. He kept showing up at every corner waiting for me at the end of class. If I didn't know him I'd call him a stalker. The cut on my cheek didn't help though it had healed considerably since last night. Shane was the first one to notice obviously, he'd followed me up to my room demanding to know who Jake was, where I got the cut from and why the hell I broke up with Zach.

"What are you talking about?" I asked he'd really thrown me off with the last question.

"Zach. Why did you two break up?" Shane said through his teeth.

I looked at him like he was crazy "we didn't break up."

"Then why are you hanging out with that creep?"

Wolf's anger overrode my own "you don't know him! How can you even judge him?"

"How did you get a cut on your face?" Shane shot as a rebuke.

"I..." my mind blanked "well... um it happened by accident, when the power was shut off last night. I didn't know the house very well and tripped."

"Liar" he spat "it looks like someone slapped you."

"And you think Jake slapped me?" I crossed my arms my voice thick with sarcasm "if he slapped me why would I bring him home and make him breakfast?"

Shane sighed seeing my point but still added in a hopeful voice "you're scared of him?"

I snorted "please, Jake's the last person I'm scared of" but Jeff was the first.

Going outside during lunch had become a routine now; everything was so much calmer outside. Plus hardly anyone wanted to be out in the heat. Though it was only May it felt like it was June or July it was so hot.

Next weekend we would go on our annual family weekend. This year we had decided Prince Edward Island would be a nice place to go. I'd been there only twice before yet it was stuck in my head with vivid memories of picking up shells and pretty stones along the seashore. The whole place was quiet and peaceful almost like a hidden paradise. I couldn't wait to go. Being away from everything and everyone for the weekend sounded like a great idea.

Sighing I got to my feet, I wanted to get to class early. Brent found me as I entered the building.

"Hey!" he greeted me cheerfully and put an arm around my shoulders.

"Hey" I muttered, I was still kind of upset about the slap.

"Where'd you go this morning? You and Jake bailed on us" he frowned down at me.

I sighed "yeah, I kinda wanted to get out of there." I pointed to my cheek as explanation.

Brent chuckled "that doesn't hurt does it?"

"Of course not!" I scoffed, after a pause I added "it's embarrassing."

We reached my locker then so I shrugged out of his arm to open it up, he said "did Jake explain to you what happened?"

"Yeah" I sighed "that doesn't make me feel any better though. I thought Jeff was a nice guy."

Brent touched my cheek where the cut was "he is nice, you just have to learn. Besides he went easy if he really wanted to hurt you half your face would be gone."

All of a sudden an arm appeared in front of me and a fist connected with Brent's face. Caught off guard Brent reeled backward falling to the ground. I reacted instantly, my body moved at such a speed I wondered how I'd ended up where I was, which was in defensive position in front of Brent. I glared up, I mean down since he was now on the floor, at the attacker... Zach. Jake was standing over him with a glare of his own.