028

It's been a while since I saw Mario, but he's been on my mind ever since. It's been about 4 months. School started and I'm once again stuck in the USA. I've been back in Germany only once, but that was because I was packing up my apartment and I took Carlie with me. I haven't seen Mario. It's been said that he dropped by my apartment in Germany a couple of times, but I was never there when he was. I've been at the point where I would write a complete text message in my phone, or an email on my computer, but never send it and just keep it in my drafts for a couple of weeks until I delete it for good.

I'm drawing and finishing the artwork I started when I first arrived back in the United States. I have seen the finals on the television after it happened. Germany won, and I saw the pain and the sadness in Mario's eyes when he realized I wasn't there. He seemed like a lost puppy within a crowd of people. He scored the final goal, the winning goal, he should be happy, but instead he nearly burst out of tears. I'm pretty sure people thought it was because he was emotional from the entire World Cup journey, that the team finally won, but instead I knew the real reason. Of course, some headlines followed where I was mentioned, but since no one really knew my name, it was "mystery girl". I missed him. I truly did.

Drawing kept my mind of things and so did all the schoolwork. My father did his best to get me into a college nearby, of course I was far too late, but it worked out because of all the connections that we have. I have followed Mario's journey, but there was not much of it on the internet. I followed his Instagram where he would post pictures of him and some guys and sometimes some girls. I tried to be okay with it, but deep inside it did hurt me. I had been online a couple of days in a row to google plane tickets to Germany again, to visit Mario, but honestly, I didn't even know if he was at home and I didn't even know if he was still single. Once again I felt myself browsing through his online pages again. I occasionally saved some of his pictures to look at. I still hadn't deleted the pictures of us together. I was desperate to see him again, to hug him, to kiss him. I opened my text messages again and I settled for a simple "hey, how are you? I miss you." I looked at the screen for a few minutes and I clicked "send". I wasn't sure I would get a reply, but you'd never know. I had a few texts from Matthias, who had been worried about me for the past few months. I hadn't contacted him back a lot, because he reminded me of Mario a little too much. I sent him quick and simple replies without emotion and interest, but he wouldn't give up. I'd consider him a real friend. Lars on the other hand, hasn't had too much interest in me anymore, now that he was currently in a relationship with, brace yourself, a guy. I'd never consider him to be bisexual, he hasn't shown any signs that he was also interested in guys, but that's fine with me.

A few hours later without a reply from Mario, I decide to get up and go get some coffee at Starbucks. I have recently started to like the coffee they offer there. It's really sweet and you must like it, but it's nice. There is one right around the corner, so it would be a nice change of scenery to get out of the house. Besides, the drawing that I'm making of Mario is looking like shit.

"Lillian" I say at the counter when paying for my regular coffee. The barista smiles at me and turns around to start on the coffee and I turn around to find myself a seat near the window.

I check my phone once again and there is still not text from Mario, or from Matthias. I put it away, kind of sad. When my named is called out, I walk up to the counter and take my coffee and take a seat once again. I try to avoid the temptation of looking at my phone for texts, but it's hard to resist. I open my laptop and scroll through my Facebook page for a moment. Sometimes I get jealous when I notice someone else seems to have a better life than I have at the moment. I'm holding back too much. Besides, it's my mistake that Mario and I aren't together right now. I could've stayed in Germany for that matter, but I had to give up and just go back to the United States. I sip my coffee and watch a few YouTube videos. I've been mocking around too long now, I should forget about what happened, but for some reason I can't get Mario out of my head. It seems like we were meant to be together.

My phone bleeps and I quickly take my phone and look who messaged me. It's not Matthias and it's not Mario either. It's my father sending me a message whether I'll be home for dinner. Well of course I'll be home for dinner, what else do I have to do around here. When my coffee is up and my drawing is done, I'm heading home. My parents greet me when I arrive home. I greet them back and bring up my drawing gear upstairs. The doorbell rings and I don't bother getting downstairs, because it's probably the neighbors asking for sugar or salt or water or something. I check my phone for the last time, and since there's still no message, I'll leave it on my bed so I don't get distracted with my work.

"Lillian, there's someone at the door for you," I hear being called upstairs. I sigh and I wonder who could be at the door. Probably the classmate that's in the same street needing to borrow a book. He didn't want to spend all the money on the books, so I borrowed them and copied them from me. I was okay with it, I preferred having a physical book. I walk downstairs and I see my mother at the door smiling at me, as she stepped aside, I saw a familiar face at the door.

"Mario," I sigh, "What are you doing here?" I step downstairs and walk to the door. I glare at my mom, wanting her to move away to the living room. I'm not sure if I should hug him or just wait for him to say what he's doing here.

"I got your text when I was on my way here, and I felt like saying 'I miss you too' in person was a little bit more...well...personal," Mario says. He is awkward and unsure where to keep his hands. I step a bit forward and give him a hug.

"I feel like I have to congratulate you on winning the world cup. Shouldn't you be celebrating somewhere in the Bahamas?" I ask him as I pull away.

"I guess I should, but I think I rather teach you how to play football... or soccer, whatever you want to call that. I promised that to you," Mario grins and it's one of those familiar grins that I have really missed.

"Well I have practiced and I'm pretty sure I'm better than you now," I say to him. I haven't practiced. At all. And how could I ever be better than a World Cup winner?

"I'm sure you are," Mario says. He's still for a while. "Come back to Germany with me, Lillian." I'm not surprised by the request. There wasn't anything else I would rather do. But I don't want to disappoint my parents by moving away once again, just now that they've pulled so many strings to get me back in college, doing something that I don't really enjoy that much.

"I...I don't know. I will have to discuss this with my parents, I guess. They've done so much to get me back in college and I don't want to disappoint them once again... and," I'm being stopped by some shouting from the living room.

"Oh Lillian, stop lying to yourself, and just move away to Germany, we both know how much you've cried the last few months. You love him!" Mario and I both laugh when hearing my father yelling this. It wasn't really the idea that they would listen to our private conversation.

"You love me?" Mario asks me.

"Of course, I love you. I have loved you for a long time," I answer and he leans in to kiss me.

THE END