015

“So, Lillian, what are you studying again?” Mario's mother asks me as he takes a bite of the steak in front of her. Yes, we were eating steak. I know, you were all expecting something way more fancy, like a... I don't actually quite know, but something way more fancy, like caviar. But we were eating steak. And somehow that makes me feel way more comfortable than eating fish eggs for dinner.

        “I'm going to art school in September,” I say, “Just need to perfect my German a little before getting there.” I cut another piece and bring it to my mouth. The chatter in the restaurant wasn't loud, everyone was talking, yet they were keeping their noises down as much as possible. There were some languages I couldn't distinguish, but most of it was just German.

        “Your accent is cute though, wouldn't worry about that,” Fabian says. He is Mario's older brother, who is also a football player. He hasn't climbed up as high as Mario, but he is really good too.

        “Well thank you, I guess, if you mean that as a compliment,” I say as a response. We continue to eat, while Mario and his father have a conversation about how to beat the first game of the World Cup. I can't follow it and I also can't understand who they'll be playing against, but I don't bother asking. I can always ask Mario later. Sipping my red wine, I can feel Mario's hand pressing on my upper leg and his thumb is making small circles on my knee.

        The conversation that I'm having with Fabian and Felix is interesting, as they try to tell me a lot of about football and school and how that all is combined in Germany. And I'm fascinated by all the possible options. I wish things were so easy in the United States. Then the desert is served and I'm extremely full. I actually feel like I'm going to burst out of this dress anytime soon.

        “Too bad Marco isn't here,” his mother says. Marco isn't here? I didn't know who Marco was and what he looked like, but I did know – according to the internet – that he is Mario's best friend. I look at Mario and I hear him sigh.

        “It is, he would've loved being here,” Mario answers, “But he'll watch it on the television of course.” Unsure what to ask about it, I keep my mouth shut and eat this delicious cake or whatever I'm eating of the Brazilian cuisine.

        Finally back in the hotel, I let myself fall down onto the bed and close my eyes. The evening was closed off with a speech of the German trainer and lots of applause and laughter. I understood only half of what he had said but Mario had given me a short summary in proper, not so fancy, German back in the limo to the hotel. I had said goodnight to his parents, with a hug and then Mario and I went back to our own hotels, together with again Toni and Jessica and Julian and the girl whose name I still don't know. But I was sure they were a couple, because I had seen them kissing each other a few hours earlier. It had been relatively silent in the car ride home. Everyone was tired.

        I heard Mario drop down on the bed beside me and the few inches of distance between us was soon closed as he extended his hand and I took it. We looked at each other for a few minutes without speaking. And I closed my eyes once again, feeling his thumb stroking my hand, it made me feel peaceful and I grew even more tired than I initially was.

        And the alarm goes off. And it isn't mine. I groan and I turn around to see Mario in the other bed, slowly waking up. He smiles when he sees my face and then I realize that I'm not wearing the dress anymore. And I can't really remember having changed into pajamas either. Mario sits on the side of the bed and I take my phone to see what time it is. 10:47. I did sleep very long.

        “Why did you set the alarm?” I ask, in my very sleepy voice.

        “Training soon,” Mario answers as he gets to his legs and he is not wearing trousers again. Just a boxer and I look at his butt as he walks away. I chuckle and look away.

        “When will you be back?” I ask him, it's more like yelling, because he had just closed the bathroom door behind him.

        “In about 4 hours, I guess,” he yells back at me and within a few minutes he returns from the bathroom, his hair all done and he's wearing clothing now. I decide to get up as well, it's useless to stay in bed if Mario is going away anyways. Not sure what I'll end up doing, but I could at least go visit the locals, or maybe find something that I know. There must be other people my age around here in the hotel whose boyfriends are off to training? Socializing isn't my thing, but sometimes, it just has to be done. Mario stands still to look at me, sitting on the edge of the bed and he smirks, “I like your hair,” he says. I grin.

        “Wow, then you really have bad taste,” I say. My hair practically exploded into something I don't know. It's a mess, that's what I can tell you.

        “Or I have great taste,” he says and he suddenly picks me up from the bed and I hold on tight to his muscled body, not sure what else to do, because I don't want to fall down and end up with bruises. Gosh what would people think. Either that Mario and I have really rough sex every night and copy all the things from 50 Shades of Grey or that Mario is very abusive and they should call the domestic violence hotline. I don't think getting bruises is smart. Spoiler: neither of them happen. Mario is strong and he swifts me off my feet easily – literally and figuratively speaking. I look into his eyes and our faces are getting closer now. It's a perfect timing for a kiss.

        “Do you want to be my girlfriend already?” he whispers in my ear and I feel myself blushing.

        “Let me think about that,” I whisper back in his ear and after speaking I feather a kiss on his cheek. He slowly puts me back on the bed again and I decide it's time to really get dressed. I dive into my suitcase to see what's the most appropriate for today and go for shorts and a casual T-Shirt, as I don't exactly care about looking perfect. I do run into the bathroom to make my hair look reasonable and not like some explosion just happened in the middle of the night. I hear Mario getting ready outside of the bathroom and I am trying to tame my hair down with hairspray and I end up braiding it, because it's just not working. I should perhaps shower, it might work. Mario steps into the bathroom and stands behind me for a second. We look at each other through the mirror reflections. I end up giggling when I poke his eye with my hairbrush.

        “You are just in the way,” I say while his eye starts tearing up.

        “Oh I'm sorry, I just wanted to look at you,” Mario says as he splashes some water in his face, “I've got to go, I will see you this afternoon?” I nod my head and walk with him to the room where our beds are, “Well I hope you enjoy yourself though, you could always go visit Jessica or something, you know her. I mean she's probably with her baby and all.” I nod again. He opens the door and just as he wants to close it I call his name again. His head pokes through the door again and he raises his eyebrow.

        “Yes,” I just say.

        “What?” Mario asks, not sure what I'm talking about. 

         “Yes,” I say again, “Yes, I want to be your girlfriend.”

---

Short chapter, I'm sorry for that. I just wanted some kind of cliffhanger. In other words, I updated the first chapter of my Marco Reus Story if you haven't seen that. It's there, and I'm hoping. I had a preview up and I updated the preview. Would love to hear what you think in the comment box there. Thank you so much for reading and supporting this story!