004

“Lillian, come on, cheer a little, we will need it!” Viktoria shouts near my ear. I roll my eyes and look at the time on the big screen. Bayern München is behind. They've only scored one point and the other team has scored 2 points. My friends, I guess if that's what you want to call them now, are still positive about them winning, but I doubt it. They still have about 15 minutes left to score. One of the players is moving closer to the goal and I hear some cheers behind me and next to me and practically everywhere in the stadium and Viktoria and Andreas pull me up to cheer. I squeak a little and the player loses the ball to another footballer and we sit down again. Andreas sighs deeply.

        “I really thought they were going to win,” he says close to my ear, his hair peaking down his face and touching my neck, which tickles. I raise my shoulders and try to focus again on the game. From this distance I can not see whom I had eye contact with. He is either player, or he is on the bench, but he made me curious.

        After 15 minutes, they haven't scored, like I anticipated. The Germans beside me are gutted, but I feel neutral. But somehow I feel a wave of sadness running through me. I did really want them to win, I just am not really into this soccer game yet. I should maybe get used to it. I assume that they want to take me again. I have no idea how this game works yet. I make a mental note that I should check out the rules online. Or I might need to find myself a tutor... I giggle. Luckily no one notices.

        The stadium is slowly emptying, some supporters happy, others are sad. Most are sad, just like the people I'm with. We head to the car, no one is actually talking. I kind of want to cheer them up and ask them whether they want to get out for ice cream, but I realize it's probably too late and there is no store opened up anymore.

        “If you want, you could join me in my apartment and we could go drink something, to wash away the...pain,” I say to them, not sure if pain is the right word that I should be using, but I'm pretty sure they take this soccer-thing a whole lot more serious than I do.

        “Thanks for the offer, Lilly,” Viktoria says, “But I'll pass this time.”

        “Yeah, me too, it's late, plus I have to work tomorrow,” Andreas says. The others stay pretty quiet so I'm assuming they don't want to go. I place myself in the backseat of the car and the two guys sit next to me. After this thing, it's a little less awkward to sandwiched between them, but it's just quiet and everyone is tired and sad, but me. The car ride is slow and silent. Matthias is the first to reach my house and I reach over Andreas, climbing in rather strange and awkward positions. I finally get out of the car and I wave them goodbye. I walk the stairs to my room and jump on the bed as I reach it.

        A deep sigh escapes my mouth as I get ready for bed. I brush my teeth and my hair and wipe the tiny amount of make up off my face. When I reach the bed again, after I found the tiniest bit of motivation to get out of bed to get ready, I fall asleep quickly. Thoughts enter my mind.

        The next morning, I wake up early. Maybe a little too early. I wipe the sleep from my eyes and look at my alarm. It's 8 in the morning. I groan and take my phone from the charger and see if I have any messages. I see the WhatsApp notification up in my screen and open the messages. I have one from my best friend, who left for college in Alaska, (believe me, I have no clue why she wants to go there, but I think it was because of some guy she met online) and I have another message from my mother. I open my mother's text first.

        “Hello dear. How is the country of beer, bratwurst and lederhosen? Are you having fun? When does your school start again? I had been wanting to call you on Skype, but I didn't seem to get hold of you last night, your last night. I will try again this night. I hope you're doing fine and making some friends. Your father says hi. We miss you.”

        I click it away not sure what to reply to that now. I am really amused by the fact that my mother only knows the fact that Germany is known for beer, lederhosen and bratwurst. What would she ask next? Whether everyone wear lederhosen? I really need a nice answer for that. I would probably just wait until my mother would call me tonight. I'd try to be online, as I practically had no plans yet. I open the message from Carlie.

        “Alaska is great, you'd probably love it here. Just a little bit too much snow and mountains, but it's great. You'd also love Marvin. He is a wonderful guy and I'm sure you'd both get along as well. Although you've most likely fallen for the looks of the German specimen right now. I'll talk to you later.”

        Right. Marvin. That's a horrible name. Carlie had shown some pictures of him on her phone and he always looked a bit like a weird character. I don't trust the online relationships so much. I prefer to be in a relationship with someone that lives a little closer. Someone who you can actually be with and not having to use Skype or wait months until you can meet up again. But hey, as long as Carlie is happy, I suppose that's all that matters.

        I turn around on my bed, facing the window. It's bright outside and the sun is shining. It's going to be a warm day today. At least that's what I'm hoping. I sit up in my bed and take my remote control. I switch on the TV and try to see if there is anything nice on the TV so early in the morning. I could at least try to watch the news to see whether I even understand anything. I make another mental note to find myself a German teacher. The basics did get me into this college, but I must admit that I forgot pretty much everything after I made the tests. Maybe it was some sort of anxiety blackout.

        Nothing really special happened yesterday or at night, I switch the TV back off and turn around again and try to sleep for another hour. Just when I am about to close my eyes, my phone rings and I look on the screen who is calling. Matthias. Why is he calling so early? I pick up the phone and yawn.

        “Matthias. You do realize it's not even 10 yet,” I say in English. He mutters something back in German and I try to switch to that language.

        “Right. Ehm. So you're asking me whether I have a hangover from last night?” I giggle, “Aren't you the one who is supposed to be having one?” I hear some laughing at the other end of the line and I'm still wondering why he is calling me. “But really, Matthias, why are you calling me so early in the morning?”

        And there I am. A few hours later, just after lunchtime, I'm waiting outside a coffee shop for Matthias to come. He said he was taking Viktoria, which was okay for me. I have been standing here for at least 10 minutes and I'm wondering whether they will even show up.

        “Lilly, there you are,” Viktoria says behind me and I turn around. She gives me a hug and I'm a little flabbergasted, since we have only known each other for less than 24 hours. Was this some kind of German thing? “Matthias and I had a great idea, that we should give you a tour through Munich, since you haven't been here for so long yet.”

         “Where do you wanna go?” I ask them, excited about this idea.