001

I can't even remember how long ago I moved to Germany. It must have been a couple of weeks. It definitely was different than the United States. Being used to living in the countryside, moving to the south of Germany was a big change. It was more like a culture shock. Plus a language shock. They speak German. And I only realized this after I arrived. And being here for about 3 weeks or so, I still don't know how to have a proper conversation with a native German. I can say “Hi, how are you?” and things like “Where is the supermarket?” but besides that, I can't say anything. And school starts in a couple of months too. Great. Now you might ask yourself why on earth did I decide to move from the great country of the United States all the way to a country in Europe? Mostly because I had been given an opportunity of a lifetime. And because I was done with living in the US. It's great there, honestly, but I am a wanderer. I want to see new things. My parents are not rich, we can't afford to go on fancy holidays all over the world. I haven't been out of the state of Maine before I traveled here. It took me about an entire summer to save up money for this. Thankfully, I had been given a scholarship. And now I'm here for a year. Studying at the University of Munich, or as they say in Germany: Universität München. It looks cute. I love how they put the little dots on the letters. I think it looks endearing. But that's a whole different story.

        At the moment, I'm stuck in my tiny apartment, just outside of Munich. Bored. Extremely bored. The time differences make it harder for me to talk to my American friends. They're all fast asleep right now, while I'm wide awake, staring at Skype, waiting for someone, anyone to pop up online. But that doesn't happen. Disappointed, I walk to the boxes that are still piled up. I don't know whether I will stay here for long. I would like to have a roommate, but I doubt whether that is a good idea. Plus, I still have no friends here and the majority of the time here I spend in the city looking for places to draw.

        Drawing. That's the thing I got a scholarship for. Somehow I inherited my grandmother's ability to draw beautiful things - although I still thinks she is better. But I really like drawing. And since somewhere far in history I'm partly German, maybe 0.001% German, I decided to apply for college here. I sigh as I stare at the boxes. I pick one up, put it down on the desk and open it up to see what's inside. Books. Mostly books. I decide to put it back again, as I do not have shelves yet. I hear a vague bleep in the distance and I shoot up to run to my laptop and see who popped up online. I grin as I see his name on the screen. The ex-boyfriend, Jared. The guy whose heart I broke just before I moved here. I wonder why he hasn't yet blocked me. Look, now it seems as if I'm not heartbroken when we broke up, but I was. For maybe a day. It was never going to work out. Lilly and Jared. We were together for about year or so. We started dating in Junior year and we broke up when I heard that I was accepted to the University of Munich. Good thing: my parents really like Jared and they were gutted when I told them I broke up with him. We had some great times and he promised we would still be friends, but I haven't heard anything of him. So I doubt it.

        Again, I'm gazing at the Skype screen. I give up, close the laptop and lie down on my bed. Staring at the ceiling has gotten boring, so I need a new plan. Maybe go on an adventure. Being socially-awkward and quite scared to go talk to people I don't know, I'm a bit apprehensive about this idea, but it seems like a good thing. I mean, I've come so far. I've traveled here by myself, it would be stupid if I weren't in a state to talk to random people. I decide to just go for it. Lilly, you can do it!

        An hour later, I walk out of the apartment. I spent forever in front of the mirror. Normally, I spent about zero time in front of the mirror, but for some reason, I feel more confident if I wear a little make up and if I put my hair in a ponytail or a casual braid. My hair isn't long. I wish it was longer, but I also don't want to buy extensions. It looks okay. It's medium length and it's wavy. It looks fine. My drawing tools stuffed in my bag, I walk to the bus station. I don't exactly know where I plan to go, but there must be someplace where I can draw. I especially like drawing people in motion. I enjoy drawing sporting people. I used to spend hours at football training sessions to draw some of the school seniors. But Germany doesn't really play football. But Germany plays soccer. And a bunch of other sports. But soccer is the national sport, right? I have no clue. The road to the bus station is empty. I was maybe hoping to be able to practice my German and having a small talk with some of my neighbors on the way, but that doesn't happen. Inhaling the fresh air, I end up at the bus station. There are just a couple of kids there, having a conversation about... I'm not sure. And an twenty-something looking guy, dressed in casual clothing, probably on his way to the gym. I look on my watch, just a few minutes left. I glare at the kids, who are now getting a little more hyperactive and talking louder, grinning widely and bursting out in laughter every now and then. And the casual guy is just leaning against a trashcan with his smartphone in his hand. He's probably texting his friends or his girlfriend or maybe even his boyfriend.