Chapter 5: Mother-Daughter Bonding

Being drag around the mall by your mother is not always an experience you wanna try but I didn't have a choice since my mom came rolling in my room telling me that we're going to the mall and shop for everything I need. I tried to say no to my mom but despite everything that has happened, I still have a soft spot in my heart for her.
When I was younger, mom tried to take me to amusement parks and even tried to buy me things but I kept telling her no. Every time she tries to create a bond with me, I declined and asked to go home to Japan.

"How about this?" Mom holds up a crop top to me. "This will look good on you and it will be perfect for summer." She says coming closer to me.

"Mom I told you, I don't need clothes." I tell her as she places the top in front of me to see if it'll look good. I hate to admit it but mom has great taste in fashion.

"I know but I want to buy you clothes." She gives me a sad smile as she clutches the top to her chest. "When you were younger, I've always wanted to buy you clothes but you barely get out of the house and I was scared you wouldn't like the clothes I picked for you." She tightens her hold on the top. "I've missed 3 years of your life, not knowing how you are and now seeing you I just wanna be a mother to you. I want to create a bond with my daughter." Her blue eyes glisten with tears as she looks at me. "I know you're closer to your dad but I hope to get even a tiny bit close to you Destiny."

"Mom I...." I couldn't say anything. I'm the one who pushes her away because I'm angry at her for divorcing my dad but no matter how many times I do that, she still tries to reach out to me. Maybe it is true what they say, a mother's love is everlasting.

"Let me be your mother Destiny. I don't wanna miss any more of your life." She gives me a smile before walking back to the rack.

"You think it'll look good on me?" I ask and she turns around in surprise. "I don't really have much fashion sense as you do mom." I add. She nods excitedly as she walks back to me.

"Of course it'll look good on you. You're my daughter, anything will look good on you." She tells me before ushering me to the changing rooms.

I spend my day with my mom going around the mall, buying clothes, shoes and whatever she can think of. I let her do anything since it's the only thing I can do with all the pushing I've done to her. She wanted to be my mother and I should let her. It feels good to have this time with her, since I lived with my dad it's different. Mom almost bought everything in the mall before she asks me where I want to go or what I want to see. I slowly open up to her about the things I wanna see, places I wanna go.

"What are we waiting for? Let's go." She says to me as we walk out of the mall with shopping bags hanging on our arms and to her waiting car.

Walking around Hollywood is something I never thought my mom and I would enjoy doing. She's acting like my tour guide as she tells me the significance of that place or what's that place all about.

"Clarice!" I hear someone call out to my mom before seeing 2 women walk to where we are. "I'm so glad we ran into each other. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to attend the dinner you had the other night." The woman in a red dress says to my mom. "The photo shoot took a while to finish. I hope you're not mad at me." She adds and mom just smiles at the woman.

"It's alright Ella. Just make sure you attend the rehearsal dinner." Mom tells Ella before signaling me to get closer to them. "Ella, Margo this is my daughter Destiny." She introduces me to the two women who smiles at me. "Destiny these are Ella and Margo. I worked with them in some projects." Mom says and I smile at them. "By the way Ella, I thought you have a photo shoot today?"

"Oh yeah I do but our model is not good right now so I drag Margo with me to look for anyone to replace her. " Then as if an idea struck her she looks at me. "Say, how do you feel earning some cash today?" She asks me making me frown before looking at my mom.

"It's up to you Destiny. You can say no to Ella." She tells me but instead of saying no, I did the opposite.

So here I am now, posing in front of a camera with some lights against me to make me look better. I'm not new to modeling since I did some back in Japan when I'm available. I don't want modeling to be my career though, it's more like a hobby to me.

"Good. Now let's change your shirt. If you want to wear something of yours, you can do so." Ella tells me and I nod walking up to my mom.

"You seem very comfortable up there." She tells me while I search for the crop top she bought. "Don't tell me you're doing some modeling in Japan?" I take off the shirt I'm wearing before putting on the top and fixing my hair.

"Yeah I did mom. I'm used to being in front of a camera but only when I got some free time. My education is still my priority." I smile at her when she sees me wearing the top. "I took it after you." I tell her before walking back to the set. "Is this okay?" I ask Ella who nods her head. I take my position once again. At some point I look at my mom and give her a smile. She smiles back as she watches me, her eyes shining with pride.