Chapter 10: Truth

I'm still on the floor when the power comes back, my eyes widen when I see the face of my companion. Her eyes are also wide like mine before they turn back to normal.

"Hmmm, you're quite a sneaky one." The playful tone in her voice makes me smirk, deciding to play the game.

"I think you're the sneaky one. Taking advantage of the dark to kiss me." I keep my face close to hers.

"I would have preferred a more gentle kiss but I'd take what I can get." She says and we hear the clicking of heels coming our way before Kate's voice rings out in the entire room.

"What the hell?" I look up to see a frown on her face as she looks at us. "What in the world happened?" She asks. I stand up and offer my hand out to Samantha, helping her to stand up from the floor as well. Kate glares at Samantha while the girl just tidy up her dress.

"Oh I just bumped into Destiny over here when the power went out." She explains nonchalantly. "And what a bump it was." She adds.

"Sam, can I speak with you for a minute?" Kate says and Sam shrugs before leaning to my ear.

"I'll look forward to the next time you properly kiss me Des." She whispers loud enough for Kate to hear before following Kate out of the house. I walk back to the couch, closing my eyes and touching my lips. I feel someone sit beside me making me open my eyes to see mom's face.

"I was looking for you. Are you feeling okay?" She asks worriedly.

"Yes mom I'm okay. I just have a lot in my mind right now." I tell her and to be honest, I only have two things on my mind right now. One, why do I feel something towards Kate and Samantha? And two, why would mom retire from her work?

"Oh is it girl troubles? Maybe I can help you with it?" She smiles positioning herself so she's facing me.

"You mentioned you're going to retire after the wedding. Why?" I ask her bluntly. She seems taken aback by my question.

"Well, Pierre and I decided that it'd be best if I retire so I could focus on being a housewife." She answers and something in me breaks. "We're planning to adopt a child since I can't bear one anymore."

"Why?" I ask keeping my eyes at her.

"Don't you want to be a big sister?" She asks not knowing I was asking for something else.

"Why are you willing to retire now?" I clarify and mom seems to understand.

"Destiny" she tries to reach out but I stand up, hot tears brimming in my eyes.

"Why is it you're willing to turn your back on your career now but when dad asked you to move to Japan, you left him for your career!" I couldn't help but shout. "He didn't even asked you to retire but he only asked you to start fresh over in Japan but you left him mom!" By then mom is up from the couch, trying to reach me but I keep shunning her away.

"What are you talking about Destiny?" She asks, confused as to how I could have known the real reason she left. I angrily wipe my tears away as I look at her.

"I was there. I witnessed everything mom. Ever since you and dad started fighting, I was always there. Hiding in the stairs as I watched my parents fight." At this revelation, mom's face pales in fear. "I knew all along the truth about the divorce. I knew it wasn't dad's fault, you chose your career over him. Over your family!"

"Destiny, it's not like that." She shakes her head. "I was young, I wanted to make a name for myself and I was afraid if I had gone to Japan with your dad that I would lose my career." She explains. "I'm so sorry." I look away from her as fresh tears threaten to fall from my eyes.

"I guess now that you had made a name for yourself, you're willing to become a housewife." I tell her, my voice cold as I remember all the nights I witnessed my parents fought, as I remember the moment my dad broke down the night she left. "I'm sorry mom but I could never forgive you." I walk away from her and up to my room without noticing Jeff at the living room entrance or that Kate and Samantha are frozen in the front door.

Weeks has passed since mom left the house, carrying everything she owned. I kept telling myself that mommy will come back and she and daddy will love each other again but as time passed, the little hope I had in my heart started to crumble down until the very day she came back only to take me and Jeff away from daddy. I remembered crying and clawing my way out of her embrace as I try to run back to dad but no matter what I do or how much strength I exerted, I was taken away from the house leaving my dad alone. The next time I saw him was in court and I ran up to him as fast as I could despite mom's insistence to keep me by her side.

"Hey princess. How have you been doing?" Dad said to me, the dark circles in his eyes told me he hasn't been having a proper sleep. "Daddy missed you."

"I missed you too daddy. Can I go home with you today?" I asked, innocent of the world. Daddy just gave me a smile before telling me to go back to mom. I don't remember much about what happened in court but it was a vicious cycle I endured for months before the decision was given.