Chapter 18: A Night Before Everything Changes

-Destiny-
Once Kate is settled in my bed, Sam and I let out a breath of relief. Throughout the travel Kate recalled what happened before she stormed out. Revealing what I've always known about my family.

"Is it true?" Sam asks in a low voice.

"Yeah." I answer her and before we could say anything else, Jeff's voice rings out from downstairs. 

"Stay here." I tell Sam walking to my door and once I'm outside my bedroom, the voices grow louder and I can recognize mom's voice as well. I slowly make my way downstairs as I listen intensely on the argument between mom and Jeff.

"There she is. Your golden child." Jeff spats out as he sees me standing behind mom. "Always the beloved one right Destiny?" He tries to walk to me but Pierre stops him. "You steal everything don't you? Dad loves you, mom loves you and even Kate! Kate my girlfriend for 3 years has fallen for you!"

"Jeff." Mom tries to appeal to him.

"No mom. You should know your beloved daughter has once again stolen the love of the person I love the most." He tells me, looking at me with such resentment. "Why is that people love you more? Is it because I'm just adopted?" He looks at mom. "I knew mom. I knew I'm adopted a year ago. Is that why no matter what I do, despite always being with you, you always longed for Destiny? Maybe in your eyes I'm the one you look but I'm not the one you see." Jeff then cries out as mom breaks in tears. "How can I make my adoptive mother love me the same amount she loves her biological daughter? I've done everything to make you proud."

"Jeff, I have always loved you the same way I love Destiny. I'm so sorry if I made you feel any less. I love you just like you are my biological son." Mom holds Jeff's face as she comforts my brother. I've always known Jeff wasn't my brother by blood, his face was the first clue as he look neither of mom or dad. Back then I didn't give it much thought, that maybe he'll look like dad when he grows up but as we shed off our baby looks, I can see more and more evidences that he's not my brother.

"Have you always known?" Pierre asks me as we let mother and son talk in hush voices. I look at him before looking back at them.

"I've known since I was 13. Jeff doesn't look like my mom or my dad." I tell him.

"You're really quite an observant person Destiny." He says before looking at me. "Just like your dad I presume?" I just give him a nod. Jeff has finally calm down. I watch as Pierre walks to them and helps Jeff get into the spare bedroom leaving me and my mom in the living room.

"Have you always known Destiny?" Mom asks as soon as the two men are out of sight.

"Yes mom. I've always known Jeff isn't my brother." I answer her. As I look at my mom now, she seems to have been stress out and it is a few days before her wedding. "Don't worry about Jeff mom, he'll calm down." I turn around to go back to my room when she grabs hold of my wrist. I look at her, waiting for her to say what's on her mind.

"Destiny, are you a lesbian?" She asks. I wanted to laugh then but I couldn't, my mother doesn't know anything about me so I don't expect her to know about my sexuality.

"I don't use labels mom but I do love women more than men." I tell her honestly and she starts tearing up, letting go of my wrist.

"I really have missed a lot about you Destiny." She whispers to herself but loud enough to let me hear. "I wish I was there by your side while you grew up." She adds, looking at me. "And have you found someone to love?"

"Maybe." I tell her.

"So Kate is not it?" She says. "Jeff really loves Kate, Destiny and I'm hoping you two won't fall for the same person." She adds.