Chapter 6: Bowling

A week has passed since I arrived here in California and not much has changed in my relationship with my mom. Although I understand her want to create a bond with me, there is still a barrier between us that keeps her at arm's length. Ella, mom's friend and professional photographer, gave me her business card after thanking me for "saving the photo shoot", her words not mine. Mom has been busy with the preparations and her job required her to be in and out of the house. She hasn't been able to get me to another mother-daughter bonding time since last week. I don't really mind since I know she'll be busy. Although if I have to pick someone to be around with I'd rather be with my mom than with my brother. Here I am lounging comfortably on the couch, reading a book from the many collection mom put in my room when he comes barging in with Kate and announcing to go bowling with his friends. Now he didn't really invite me but Kate comes up to me and asks me to go with them. I could say no but the look on Jeff's face when his girlfriend invited me was enough to convince me to play with them.

"Whatever your plan is, I suggest you back out now." Jeff whispers to me as we walk towards the cars park up front. "Kate only wants to invite you cause she feels sorry for you." He adds making me shrug at him.

"Is that why she dated you as well? She probably felt sorry for you bro. I would love to see the look on your face when I beat you in bowling big brother. Also, I kinda feel like playing today." I smirk walking up to my car before sending a message to Ken telling him to meet me at the bowling place. I follow Jeff and Kate's car to the place and park right next to them. When I get out, I see Ken's car coming up next to mine and my best friend gets out smiling.

"Hey Des! Thanks for inviting me." He says hugging me with one arm while looking at the other two people. "I hope you don't mind me tagging along but I could never say no to this girl." He says as we stand face-to-face with Jeff and Kate. "Hi, name's Ken. Best friend and ex-lover of Destiny." He says stretching out his hand for them to shake.

"Ex-lover?" Kate asks looking at me.

"Don't mind him. He likes to think there was something between us." I explain elbowing my best friend who laughs.

"I was messing around with you. This beauty over here is like a sister to me so..." He shrugs.

"Oh. I thought you were being serious." Kate chuckles. "Nice to meet you Ken." She says to him earning a charming smile.

"Let's go inside. Nick and Hayley are waiting for us." Jeff says putting his arm on Kate's shoulder and walking towards the entrance. Ken and I exchange looks before following the couple inside the place.

"You're brother is so uptight. He should loosen up a bit." Ken whispers to me making me chuckle.

"I doubt he'll loosen up. I think he has a bamboo stick all up his ass." I whisper back as we reach the counter to pay for one game and get our shoes.

"It's weird that you came along though considering you don't like to be around him." He says tying up his shoe laces while I do the same. "Got a plan or something?"

"Oh I just wanna see the horrified look on his face once again. I kinda enjoy it." I answer him walking to where the others are. I see two blondes together with Jeff and Kate on the lane we're assigned to. The guy looks at me and gives me a charming smile, walking around Jeff to come up to me.

"Well hello there cutie. Heaven must be missing an angel." He says making Ken chuckle. I raise my eyebrow at his pick up line. "I'm Nick. What's your name angel?"

"Destiny. I'm Jeff's younger sister." I tell him giving him my own smile. He looks back to Jeff with an open mouth.

"Damn you Jeff! You never told me you have a sister. A hot one at that." Nick says making Jeff frown. "Hey is it okay if I date her?"

"I'm not her baby sitter Nick." Jeff says dismissively.

"Cool. So, you wanna go on a date with me cutie? I can show you around California." He looks back at me with so much confidence, I think it's stinking the place.

"Only if you beat me in bowling." I wink at him walking around to get a good look at the girl.

"Nick stop flirting and start playing." Kate says with an edge to her voice which raised some eyebrows.

"What if he wins? Last time I checked you're pretty gay." Ken whispers to me as we watch Kate go on first.

"Oh Kenny, have you no faith in my skills?" I tell him with a smirk. There is no way I'm letting Nick take me out on a date, not in this century or the next. Since there are 6 of us, we got two lanes with us girls in one and the boys in the other. Kate has the lowest score among the 3 of us so I decided to help her out.
"Mind if I show you how to get a better score?" I ask her and she raises her eyebrow at me in a challenge.

"Are you some bowling expert or something?" She says playfully as I walk toward her.

"Well considering my score against everyone else, yeah I can say I'm an expert." I tell her getting an eye roll.

"Okay then miss expert. Will you please show this lowly girl how to play?" She positions herself with the green ball in her hand. I walk behind her and whisper in her ears the proper posture and what to do with her hands. She looks back at me with a slight blush while my eyes strain to stay looking at her hazel eyes instead of her lips. There is an unexplained reason I have some strong attraction to this girl.

"Give it a shot." I walk back to the couches where Hayley looks at me before looking back at Kate. I look on as she takes her shot and almost got a strike, I watch as she jumps in happiness and before I know it she's hugging me. I hug her back but let go as soon as I did.

"Oh my god! Thank you!" She says with a grin. I give her a small smile before taking my turn. In the end I won not just against the girls but with the guys as well, followed by Nick. He sags his shoulders when he finds out he won't be going on a date with me but if there's one thing he's good at that is pestering me.

"Come on cutie. There must be something else we can do so you'll go on a date with me." He says to me as we walk out of the place and to our cars.

"Sorry Nick but our deal is beat me in bowling and I'll go on a date with you." I shrug reaching my car. Behind Nick, I can see Kate with a slight frown on her face as she watches my interaction with Nick.

"Nick! Let's go!" Hayley calls out. She waits near the car with her foot impatiently tapping the ground.

"Give me a minute." He shouts out keeping his gaze on me. "Come on Destiny. Go out with me. I'll show you a good time." I didn't miss the meaning behind his words so I go up to his ear.

"Sorry but I prefer girls over guys." I whisper to him before getting inside my car. I see him stand there in shock as I pull out of the lot and drive home.