Chapter Two

"Thanks for letting me work here." Angela said three days later as she went about placing the books on the already loaded shelves of Abigail's book store 'Abbey's Corner'

"Of course." Abigail replied with a wave of her hand. "I've been begging you to come work here since I opened the store."

"I know you have, Abs. I just didn't want you to feel like I was using you."

"I should slap you." Abigail stated from where she was counting change for the day. A growl came from the far corner at the back of the store.

"I was just joking." Abigail said quickly to the angry canine. "So that dog just showed up at your house?"

"Yeah, Puppy showed up three days ago." Angela answered, smiling lovingly at her houseguest. "I'll let him out a couple of times a day but he always comes right back after a few minutes."

"He looks more like a wolf. Even though I didn't know that wolves got that big." Abigail said.

Angela saw those intelligent gold eyes staring intently at Abigail as Puppy raised his head from his paws.

"I know. I think maybe he is a wolf and someone raised him or something." Angela admitted.

"I've never seen eyes like that before." Abigail added thoughfully. "Wouldn't it be cool if he was like a werewolf or something?" Puppy's head whipped around and he glared at Abigail.

"Abigail come on! This is real life not a book! It's not like he's a werewolf that is head over heels in love with me and going to sweep me off my feet and declare me as his own!" Angela exclaimed with a laugh.Then she sighed as she met Puppy's intense gaze across the store. "His eyes are incredible though."

"I guess I have an overactive imagination." Abigail replied with a shrug. "I am kind of worried that he might scare the customers though. Do you think maybe he'll stay in the back room?"

Angela nodded and led Puppy to the door of the stockroom.

"Gotta stay in here, Puppy. Don't want all the moms thinking you're going to eat the kiddos."

Puppy let out what could only be described as a laugh as he trotted into the backroom.

"I think he's allergic to all that dust back there." Angela said after she'd closed the door and come back into the main store.

Abigail laughed lightly, though Angela could hear a tenseness in the sound. Something was wrong with her friend today but Abigail wouldn't tell her what it was. Angela knew that was probably because Abigail was too worried about Angela and didn't want her friend to have to worry about her problems as well.

Abigail flipped the store sign to open and clicked her tongue."The mess adds to the ambience of the place."

888

Jake knew he was pathetic. He had lost every ounce of pride he had once had by letting Angela call him Puppy. Honestly he didn't look like a puppy. He shook out his long black fur and stretched his thick muscles.

'Enough of this.' he thought to himself. It was time to come to her as a man and when the time came for her to know what he really was he hoped she would still accept him.

As badly as Jake hadn't wanted a mortal woman to be his mate he was seeing more and more that Angela was that and more. Not only did the wolf in him tell him that she was his mate but the man in him was drawn to her just as much. Jake had never truly wanted or needed anyone in his entire life and he wanted and needed Angela.

He walked to the darkest corner of the small dusty room and changed back into a man. He quickly closed his eyes felt the familiar tug in his gut and he dashed to his apartment about seventy miles away in New York City.