Chapter Three

Angela sat up quickly when she woke some time later. The first thing realized was that she was in her own room. The curtains were open and she could see that the sun was beginning to set. Slowly what had happened at the bookshop came back to her and she listened closely to see if anyone, (namely a dog-man named Jake), was in the house with her.

Angela heard the TV playing downstairs and then the sound of a crashing dish came to her ears.

"Oh my God, he's destroying my house," she said to herself. "Whoever he is," she added. She quickly left her room and was about to run downstairs when she caught a glimpse of herself in the hall mirror.

"Oh God.... I look horrible!" she gasped. She went to the bathroom and assessed herself more thoroughly. There was nothing she could do about the puffy, swollen eyes but she threw on some blush, mascara and lip gloss, smoothed out her floral knee length skirt and black tank top and then continued her walk downstairs.

Angela found Jake in the kitchen sweeping up the remains of one of her best antique china plates. He looked up at her and offered an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry." he said. "I'll replace it."

Angela reached out and took the dustpan from him before walking over and emptying it in the trash.She turned back around and had to fight to keep jaw from dropping.

Jake was standing now and his large frame seemed to take up her entire kitchen.

"Don't worry about it." she responded once she found her voice. "It was one of a kind so it can't be replaced."

Jake nodded and looked around the messy kitchen uncomfortably. "I was trying to cook dinner but it's not going very well,"

He looked toward the sink and Angela followed his gaze. She was fairly certain the charred remains in one of her best pans was supposed to be meatloaf.

"I appreciate the effort." she offered.

888

Jake could tell that Angela meant what she said and surprisingly he was filled with pride.

He hadn't been this nervous around a woman since the first girl he had ever courted and that had been over two hundred years ago.

He was so frightened that at any moment she would freak out and demand that he leave and Jake didn't know if he could survive that; or if he could actually leave if she wanted him to.

Every fiber of him, both man and wolf, were screaming to touch her, hold her, kiss her and spend every moment for the rest of his life with her.

He threw a smile, though it felt strange on his lips. Jake had not smiled much in his very long life. He saw her swallow hard and her legs seemed to shake before she crossed her arms over her chest and licked her full lips.

"I can solve the dinner problem." Angela said and quickly walked over to a drawer and pulled out several take out menus. "Pick something and go call and order it in the living room while I try to clean this kitchen." she said handing them all to him.

Jake didn't argue, simply walked into the living room leaving her alone in the messy kitchen. He quickly ordered something to be delivered and then walked back into the kitchen where Angela was standing in front of the sink full of hot soapy water with her back to him.

"I just ordered some pizza. They said they'd have it here in about a half hour." he stated.

Angela nodded and continued with the dishes.

"Angela, we need to talk." Jake urged.

Angela grabbed a dishtowel and dried her hands and then she whirled around toward him and threw her hands in the air. "Talk about what?" she demanded, her big brown eyes full of confusion. "Talk about the fact that just this morning I really think you were my dog? Or how about the fact that despite that I am unexplainably attracted to you? Or we could discuss that for some reason I can't even begin to understand you seem to be attracted to a woman like me...." Jake couldn't stop himself. One second he was listening to her rant and the next he had his hands on her cheeks and was pressing his lips to hers.