Chapter Nine

"So when is this wedding going to be?" Georgia asked the next morning.

"Whenever Angela wants it to be." Jake replied without looking out from under the hood of the truck.

It was raining and most everyone was in the house but Evan, Jake and Max were in the garage working on Max's old chevy truck that was refusing to start. Kayleb was handing them tools when they asked for them and feeling very much like one of the men and Angela and Georgia were sitting in lounge chairs watching them work and reading magazines.

"Kayleb get me a 5/8ths wrench." Jake said. Kayleb ran to the tool box and after a second of digging around and biting his tongue in concentration he grabbed a wrench and ran over putting it in Jake's greasy outstretched hand.

"Well your father won't have any vacation time available for a while." Georgia stated.

"Don't worry about that, dear. I will make time for my only daughters wedding." Max said, looking up from the truck.

"Why don't you try to start it again, Mr. Walker." Jake urged coming out from under the hood. Max walked around and turned the key but despite sputtering several times the engine refused to come to life.

"I think all that's left to do is get a new truck." Evan said slamming the hood down.

"I think you're right, daddy." Kayleb said putting his hands on his hips.

Max chuckled. "I've had old Betsy here for over 40 years. I'll get her running again."

"When do you guys have to head back?" Jake asked Max.

"Day after tomorrow I'm afraid. I wish I could stay longer but I gotta get back to work."

"Tomorrow works for me." Jake said. He walked around the truck and stood in front of Angela. "Does tomorrow work for you?"

Angela looked up from her magazine and her mouth suddenly went very dry. Jake was sweaty and greasy and oh so delicious looking. His face was smeared with black. His dark hair was an unruly mess. His sweaty shirt clung to every rock solid muscle of his chest and stomach..His toned arms were tight and gleaming beneath the grease and sweat that covered them.

Angela felt as if her heart was going to blow up in her chest if she didn't get her pulse to calm down. She wanted him and she wanted him now. Jake seemed to pick up on her thoughts and his eyes turned into molten lava as he looked at her.

"What.. Uh.. What did you say?" she managed to ask.

Jake grinned mischeviously at her. "Does tomorrow work for you?"

"For what?" Angela asked forcing her eyes to look just above his shoulder at the wall behind him.

"Our wedding"

"So soon!" Georgia demanded. She had seemed happy about the couples engagement moments ago but suddenly she looked frightened and worried and not at all happy.

"You said yourself that Mr. Walker won't have any vacation time left and I know that Angela is going to want him to walk her down the aisle. I don't see any reason to wait." Jake reasoned with her.

"Oh my! I'm not feeling very well. I think I need to go lie down" Georgia exclaimed. She ran out into the rain and to the house. Angela watched her and then turned back to look at her father. He shrugged and raised the hood of the truck.

"What do you say?" Jake asked.

(I say you look entirely too sexy right now for me to think clearly.)

He grinned and reached his finger out laying a streak of grease across her cheek. (There now we match.) He winked at her and she smiled. Max looked at Evan